Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3D Printer Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Question UPS - No more hiccups?

I just bought myself a UPS for just under £40, so no more failed prints due to power fluctuations (I had two in one day the other week ) and it will even survive a power outage although I don't know how long for.

If you're going to be doing long prints consuming large amounts of filament then buying one would be a wise investment, not too mention saving on the frustration as well

@ Joao - It says 500VA 300 watts on the UPS unit. Do you have an idea as to what power my printer may be using (210 extruder & 95 bed) and may be how long it could survive on the battery back-up?

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    I believe the printer consumes 60 Watts, so the UPS should last 5 hours.

3D Printer Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by synthius View Post
    I believe the printer consumes 60 Watts, so the UPS should last 5 hours.
    On the box it says for an all-in-one PC of ~40 watts only 28 minutes so I don't know how they do the calculations ????

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    I got this chart from here: http://www.apc.com/resource/include/...se_sku=bk500ei
    500VA 300W
    Screen Shot 2015-04-29 at 20.54.36.png

A rough calculation of the printer consumption (at its maximum consumption):
    - Heat bed: 1.3Ω at 12V = 110 Watt
    - Heat head: 3
    .6Ω at 12V = 40 Watt
    - Head motor: 1.2Amp at 12V = 14.4 Watt
    - 2Z * 1Y +1X motors: 1.3Amp at 12V = 4 * 15.6 Watt = 62.4 Watt
    - 3 fans: ~0.2Amp x 3 = 2.4 Watt
    - Board and other electronics (i am just guessing): 1Amp = 12 Watt
    Total: 241.2 Watt

With this consumption that UPS lasts 6 minutes.
    But this is not the normal consumption operation, its only the worst case scenario.
    Aiming for 60W would give 30 mins, but I haven't seen how that number was calculated. It also depends on the type of print.

Maybe someone has an energy consumption meter that could give it a try and share the results with us.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've put a energy consumption meter on my printer and it registered ~60 Watt. It was not running the heat bed during this time.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    The 500VA 300W is just the max it can supply from the battery - not a runtime or capacity. The capacity (from the box statement) is 40W x 28 mins = 20WHrs or 0.020KWhrs. And from this datasheet (the link above did not work for me) runtime graph - at 60W you'll get 45 mins.
    http://datasheet.octopart.com/BK500E...t-10181472.pdf

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    For the USA 110V version:

Idle: 13-20W
    Extruder on: 83W
    Bed on: 160-200W

Typical print (w/ 90C bed, 240C extruder) 60-190W

13 min print of the filament clip in ABS: 0.06KWH
    Last edited by warx; 04-30-2015 at 06:25 PM.

3D Printer Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Guys

Thanks for all of the information, it's no wonder electronics and me have not been the best of friends for many years

What nobody has mentioned is if they think it's a worthwhile investment or not? I realise that if you have a perfect power supply in your area then the need is probably lacking but how many can actually say that that it the case where they live.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have one that I plug my router and cable modem into. It'll run them for hours. and also I can plug my laptop into it for a charge but it has its own battery. Between them I can continue to work from home. It also is happy being charged by my generator (the long term backup plan). Some smaller ones are not. I would say they are great protecting from brown-outs (fluctuations) and short outages. It's pretty hard to size one for anything longer than a few minutes though. I mean if the outage is 3 days - what you gonna do?!

Post Thanks / Like
    What brands are you using people? APC?