Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like

Problems I'm recently experiencing with the Trio

I've been running my Trio just about every day of the week, except some weekends, and I'm starting to have some intermittent issues.

Recently, the printer will sometimes experience a drop in chamber temperature and pause to warm back up. The heater feels like it's blowing hot air but the little thermometer I put inside the chamber continues to drop so it must not be putting out air that's hot enough. Eventually, after many minutes, the temperature will start climbing back up and it will resume printing. This has happened maybe a 1/2 dozen times over the last week or two.

Sometimes it will error out with an extruder temp error. This only happens when it's warming up before a print. It's happened maybe 3 or 4 times since I've been using it lately.

The third weird problem happened just today for the first time. In the middle of a print, the machine just "went dark" : the display went out, the interior LEDs went out, and the printing stopped. When I pressed the button near the display, it lit back up and displayed "printheads cooling" but the interior LEDs didn't come on and the table didn't drop. After rebooting it it's working fine.

I'm wondering if maybe the power supply is getting flakey or if there's some connections getting loose from all the jiggling around it does.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like PSU is dying, indeed...

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have the chip hack in place? Chip hacks have been know to mess with the chamber heater.
    There are reports of a chip on the extruder boards getting too hot causing temp errors.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    No hack, just the latest firmware.

That'd be a quite a difficult situation to resolve if heat is bothering a chip on the extruder board. I guess maybe a fan or heat sink could help but probably but only so much since it swimming in a heated chamber.

Are there known weaknesses with the PSU? i.e. bloated caps, cold solder joints?

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    I do not recall any power supply failures being reported. The heater is hotwired to AC with an internal thermostat IIRC.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, since I posted this message, I haven't had any of those problem reoccur. That's a good thing.

However, now a new problem. About an hour into a 2 hour PLA print, the extruder nozzle got jammed somehow. I've tried to clear it with a guitar string from the bottom up and top down but no success.

I put marks on the filament feed motor shafts so I can observe their rotation. At first, the filament feed motor seemed stuck in the same spot, just bliping over and over but not moving. After I worked on the nozzle for a while, the feed motor began making a full rotation but would get stuck in approximately the same spot as it went around. I worked on the nozzle some more and at this point the motor seems to turn in either direction without hanging up, but yet I still cannot get the filament to feed.

Do I have any other options to try other than disassembling it? I have read that acetone will dissolve PLA. Would it help/be safe to drip some into the extruder from the top?

If I want to disassemble it, how much do I have to take apart? Does the whole head assembly have to be removed?

- - - - - - - - - -

NVM...I found instructions on how to replace the #2 extruder. It wasn't that difficult to get it out. I had to take the feed section apart because the filament was actually wrapped around the serrated wheel that drives it.

So now I wonder why it happend. Maybe I didn't have the extruder temp high enough and the filament got backed up?

7. Likes TommyDee liked this post