Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Short answer RicciEU - yes. Cube3 has shown me that the ABS profile for Cubify material is 10*C higher than most conventional ABS formulations.

I did run some white NovaMaker PETG using the ABS slicer and they printed pretty nicely. I suspect this is the answer to my CubePro-Duo when I run out of 3DS ABS. That might be a while.

2. Thanks RicciEU thanked for this post
    Likes RicciEU liked this post
    Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    TommyDee, I'll let you know as soon as my PETG order arrives tomorrow or the next day. I am very keen to test the PETG in my CubePro.

- - - - - - - - - -

Okay, so my PETG did arrive the next day and I encountered the same results:

Attachment 4306

The first couple of layers seem as they should, but as the print progresses the quality deteriorates to the point of failure. It happens with ABS and PLA. The part I can't figure out is why when I manually operate the nozzle it works fine, as soon as I try and print something it prints poor and then failure.

Attachment 4307 Attachment 4308

So I disassembled the stepper motor / feeder assembly. Then I removed the nozzle and unscrewed the hotend from the nozzle body.

Attachment 4305 Attachment 4309 Attachment 4310

I noticed that there is a tube that runs down the centre of the lower section of the nozzle and into the hot end. It's silicone or PTFE, I assume it's job is to offer thermal protection to the filament up until it's forced into the hotend.

I noticed that the filament had swollen in the very end of the tube. I reamed it out with a 2mm drill bit and reassembled everything and reinstalled. Again it seemed to work fine during testing and calibration and fails in the print.

As a result I assumed that I had damaged all three nozzles. So I purchased three nozzles and one complete assembly.

The parts arrived yesterday so today I installed anew nozzle into an original stepper / Feeder assembly. As usual I went through the required nozzle print pad height procedure with the piece of paper from the instruction manual. Once that was successfully completed I went through the ABS calibration test print. A couple of adjustments and test prints later It was all set. it printed well during the calibration test so I loaded a part and tried to print. No change in results . . . print failure.

So I then removed a extruder assembly and replaced it with the brand new extruder assembly. No change . . . Print failure.

20.jpg

So does anyone have any ideas why this is happening? Could this be a software or firmware issue? Could this be a glitch in the slicer software?

Does anyone have a copy of the latest slicer software?

Is it possible to reload the firmware onto the CubePro? I mean do a clean install and completely overwrite the program?

I really don't know where to look next. I can't understand why they would work fine for soo long and then all of a sudden all four nozzles stop working. I install new nozzles and no change. I install a new extruder assembly and no change.

It seems like the nozzle is backing up, I'm wondering if the temp in the hotend is dropping over time during a print?

Any input welcome and appreciated.

Cheers, RS

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    This looks like under-extrusion. If the new and old nozzles behave the same, the hardware is functional. This is all about making recipes work. Are you running the PETG as the ABS slicer in CubePro?

5. Thanks RicciEU thanked for this post
    Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, PETG as ABS in the slicer and using an ABS chip in the CubePro. It performs the same with ABS and PLA. First ABS went and it would only print PLA then it stopped printing PLA as well.

So I'm wondering if the under-extrusion is due to software glitch? As you say the hardware is new. . .

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does it sputter when it purges the PETG?

I don't know what hardware level code could be corrupt to cause this. I have used only admittedly old 3DS ABS to not have these kinds of issues. The PETG was successful on the Cube3 so I have to assume it will be functional in CubePro. I haven't had the nerve to go there but I know my 3DS ABS works a treat.
    Last edited by TommyDee; 07-07-2021 at 01:01 AM.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    No sputter when purging any material, nice uninterrupted filament, straight, perfect really.

I have been reading in this forum where people are using PETG and other materials with no issue. Another noticeable point is that in the entire forum I am the only one that seems to be experiencing these types of issues.

What I don't understand is why it starts to print nicely then 15 - 20min in it starts to deteriorate. What changes or happens in that time frame that is causing this?

When I disassembled the nozzle I noted that the filament had been backing up in the PTFE tube right before entering the tip of the hotend. As the last two nozzles are brand new I think its safe to rule them out. So either the hot end is cooling to the point that the filament is not liquid enough to pass through the hotend tip or the stepper motor is slowing. But that wouldn't cause the filament to back up. So I think the problem is the tip is cooling or not maintaining the correct temperature causing the filament to back up. The temp sensor is part of the nozzle assembly. New nozzle with new heat sensor. So the next level up would be the PC board or the power supply to the hot end.

This would also explain why is was happening first with ABS and then with PLA as ABS works at 260c and PLA 220 (?).

So that's why I'm hoping that it could be a software issue. I don't think it can be the slicer.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've had problems like this with Cube3. It was very specific to a lot of retractions. The nozzle wasn't keeping up and the walls of the PTFE tube would have cooler PLA forcing the melt to go through a smaller hole. Not exactly backed up but seriously restricted-sphincter'd. This problem still exists on certain prints.

One would think that shows an under-temp condition.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree. I think it starts out at the right temp but after 10 - 20 min the temp slowly drops to a point below the tg value of the filament.

So it shouldn't be the nozzle or the PCB on the extruder assembly as they are both new. So is the controller for the nozzle temp on the extruder carriage or is it on the main logic board?

Anyone know the answer to this?

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, now that's data! The heaters can't keep up. That should be going right back to the controller. Can you get a voltmeter across extruder heater leads?

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubical View Post

One thing to note is that the gap between the serrated feed roller and the idle roller is adjustable. So when reassembling it, before I tightened the bolts I inserted a piece of filament. What I actually found was that making the gap as wide as possible still had ample "bite" into the filament without causing the motor to stall out, which is a problem I had with certain 3rd party filaments.
    I've got one of mine apart right now. How/where do I make this adjustment?