Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like

Poor prints - CubePro Duo/ 2.02 firmware/3ds slicer - Help?

Hello all,

I have been having some very poor prints and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions around what may be the cause and how I can improve the prints?

I am using a CubePro Duo/2.02 firmware and using the 3DS OEM slicer. Printing is set to solid. I am achieving the same results with 3DS, Amazon Basic, and Smartfil filaments.

Attachment 4284

The print above stopped prematurely due to filament issues. I ran the nozzle cleaning option and it seemed to be no problem.

Then . . .

2.jpg

7.jpg

It doesn't seem to be printing solid, is it possible that the feeder is set too slow?

Any ideas?

Cheers,

RS

Post Thanks / Like
    Is this PLA?

I wouldnt say "too slow" when underextrusion appears but perhaps partial clog that appears intermitently...

3. Thanks RicciEU thanked for this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    I got something similar when ABS was running hot by about 10C.

5. Thanks RicciEU thanked for this post
    Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's ABS. I have spent the last two days swapping around print head assemblies between two machines and from what I can tell it appears to be a software issue. When I manually control the jet I can head the hot end to 260c and set the feed rate at 2.0rpm and it works fine. I can also do an internal nozzle clean and all works fine. When I try and print a gap calibration test discharge from the jet is intermittent and inconsistent.

So based on that today I'm going to try and re-flash the firmware.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well it definitely not the firmware. Reflashed it and no change. I can hear a deep ticking which I am assuming that noise is the feeder slipping for some reason.

This is the gap test print:

Gap Test.jpg

- - - - - - - - - -

Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to clear a hot end. I'm not sure if a partially blocked jet is the cause but I would like to try it.

I'm not sure if it's related but I have only experienced this since I started using 3rd party filament. The problem also seem to get progressively worse.

Cheers,

RS

- - - - - - - - - -

So I managed to get one out of three print heads to work. It's now printing to a decent standard.

One nozzle is definitely blocked, so I guess I will try acetone. I was thinking that I would stand it upright and then pour some acetone down the filament channel and let is soak for a couple of days and then try wire or air pressure to clear it.

As for the third print head, in my haste I damaged the filament sensor so now have to buy a complete unit.

I am guessing I would try ebay for parts. Does anyone know of any site that sells CubePro parts?

Cheers,

RS

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    You are bold RicciEU. I run only 3DS ABS in my CubePro Duo. I really don't want to learn how to unclog the nozzles. Is it possible your filament of choice requires a little extra temperature? I never had clogs with Cube3 with 3rd party ABS - it just made those turn-backs thin like your original image.

The way to clear the nozzles is a special filament using a 'cold-pull' method.

9. Thanks RicciEU thanked for this post
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did you try taking the feed section of the extruder apart? Remove four hex bolts and the two pieces of the feed unit pull apart. I had filament get wrapped around the feed wheel. By taking it apart it was easy to clear. I had thought of using acetone but in retrospect I don't think it could have worked for my type of jam -- I think it would've made it worse.

One thing to note is that the gap between the serrated feed roller and the idle roller is adjustable. So when reassembling it, before I tightened the bolts I inserted a piece of filament. What I actually found was that making the gap as wide as possible still had ample "bite" into the filament without causing the motor to stall out, which is a problem I had with certain 3rd party filaments.

11. Thanks RicciEU thanked for this post
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubical View Post

One thing to note is that the gap between the serrated feed roller and the idle roller is adjustable. So when reassembling it, before I tightened the bolts I inserted a piece of filament. What I actually found was that making the gap as wide as possible still had ample "bite" into the filament without causing the motor to stall out, which is a problem I had with certain 3rd party filaments.
    I've got one of mine apart right now. How/where do I make this adjustment?

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's not an adjustment as such its down to the lateral pressure applied. Thats where the inserted piece of filament works as a spacer. I push mine up snug.

But that wasn't my problem. I will cover that later in this thread

- - - - - - - - - -

Dougk12, Thanks for the heads up. I did notice the swelling of the PTFE tube. I did think that was the problem until . . . read on

Everybody sorry for the late update. The piece I was trying to print was for a work project so the issue created a lot of stress and compressed deadlines.

So in the end I couldn't figure it out so I ordered three hot ends and one complete extruder assembly. I also purchased a alloy print plate as one of mine was damaged and unusable.

A few weeks later the parts arrived. So I first installed a new hot end into a original extruder assembly and attempted a print, attempted, is the key word here . . . it failed 50 min later.

So I then swapped out the original extruder for the new extruder assembly and attempted a print. Keep in mind I'm trying to use PETE. Again failed after 50ish min.

So then I swapped machines. My second machine hadn't been used for 5 or so years, it's virtually brand new. So I swapped out the extruder with the new hot end into machine number 2 and using the PETE attempted a print. Again failed.

So then I grabbed an old roll of 3DS PLA clear and printed a near perfect print until the filament shattered in the Bowden tube. Giving credit it did print for 5 + hours before failing 2 hours from completion.

So then I grabbed a roll of GEEETECH PLA and completed the 7 hour print perfectly. So from what I saw I think that it is the PETE filament. But I still have to try and print ABS. I would be very interested to know what brands of PETE filament other people have been having success with?

Below are one of my many failed attempts:

21.jpg

22.jpg

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting to note the adjustable gap. That is a new twist. Glad to see you got it working again. Acetone would have made a mess for sure.

15. Thanks RicciEU thanked for this post