Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like

Extruder problems.

So I keep having a recurring problem. On longer prints it will stop feeding. When this happens I can pull the filament out of the extruder without loosening the wheel any, cold. and the end of the filament will be melted, with gear tooth marks on the filament that show it slipped out of the wheels somehow. At first I thought it was nozzle jams, but when I cut the end off the filament, and feed it back in, it feeds readily through until the next time this happens. On average this issue happens every 8-12 hours of prints.

I don't think its nozzle jams, because even heating the nozzle to a glowing red, and keeping it at the high temp for 2 min to allow any carbon deposits to burn off fully, followed by quenching it in jeweler's pickle to remove oxides, running a nozzle cleaner burr through it, and finally blasting the nozzle with high pressure steam, has not seemed to help. (Did this twice so far)

Last bit of possibly relevant info: I've had to flip the toothed wheel over in my extruder to even get it to print worth a damn to begin with, so my extruder has a printed extruder plate and a reversed feed wheel.

Any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like
    If it is aligned, you shouldnt have such issues... Did you try printing the alternate plate and place it on the extruder?

3D Printer Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I take it you're not around when it stops? Your toothed wheel may be slipping, have you checked that the grub screw is screwing onto a flat part of the shaft and is it secure?

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes I have printed the new extruder plate. The toothed wheel is flush with the new extruder plate. I've double checked, the grub screw is definitely on the flat part of the shaft and is tight.

Post Thanks / Like
    May be something else (metal parts?) went into the brass nozzle obstructing it partially and hence the filament cant go thru at the correct rate, making the wheel scrapping it...

DId you try just replacing the nozzle head?

ALso is your bottom fan working flawlesly?

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll try replacing the nozzle next. I ordered some on aliexpress a week ago, so I'll be waiting a bit for them still.

Checking on the bottom fan next.
    Last edited by StridAst; 05-11-2015 at 02:12 PM.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    It might be the old frayed/broken wire in the extruder connector bracket issue

3D Printer Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by milstream View Post
    It might be the old frayed/broken wire in the extruder connector bracket issue
    Intermittent faults are a pig to find. You'd have to put a meter on the wires and then wiggle them about to see if the connection stays stable.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can do what I did: get a long db9 male to female cable and change the whole cable thing