Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like

My Rapide Lite 312

Hi All,

It's been a while since I've been around, but all my stuff came in and I finally got around to expanding the print size of my RL200.

It's now 312mm on the y-axis.

Total cost was about $100.

About an half hour of fabrication time, and 45 minutes of install. Mod to firmware to allow 312mm in config.

I could't get the photos to upload, so I tried them as attachments - will upload a video at some point too...

Steps Converting your Rapide Lite 200 to a 312mm bed

You could try any size. I think the 312 mm works well as there is a heated bed available at a reasonable price and the 8mm rails seem to hold up to the size.

It may be too detailed for you, but better safe than sorry :-) It seems like a lot of steps, but if you have the extrusion pre-cut to size and the some basic tools ( I used a drill, a hacksaw, a digital caliper and a belt sander), you should be able to get this done in an hour or so. I can't seem to post photos inline, but I will add them if I can figure it out.

Bill of Materials – cost +/- $100 USD

o 2 x 3030 T-Slot Extrusion (30mm per side and 395mm long)
    o 1 x GT2 drive belt 1000mm
    o 6 x M3 20mm hex bolts
    o 2 x 8mm by 400MM Linear rail (ebay: $20)
    o 2 x 320mm angle aluminum stock ($4ish)
    o 1 x 200 X 300mm heated bed (actual dimensions 214X314mm) from reprap.me ($20ish)
    o 1 x Aluminum plate cut to size (.125 in or similar)
    o Some wire to extend the heated bed and thermo reach

Procedure:

1. Do all the safe stuff - Unplug all the things – discharge your static - you know the things
    2. Remove your heated bed
    3. Detach thermistor and keep for later
    4. Undo bolt securing Y-belt bracket to bed carriage
    5. Loosen linear rail collars
    6. Remove belt idler pulley from front end plate
    7. Remove front end plate
    8. Pull out 8mm linear rails, keep rail collars for later
    9. Slide bed carriage out
    10. Remove belt from Y-belt bracket
    11. Remove back end plates let the back side with stepper motor hang
    12. Cut the T-slot extrusion to 395mm if not pre-cut, they have to be 5mm shorter than the rods so they will seat in the holes on the end caps
    13. Tap the ends of the extrusion for M8 bolts – you will reuse the original bolts
    14. Drill holes (1/8in – 3mm) in aluminum angle stock to match the bed bolt holes in the bed carriage
    15. Drill holes in aluminum plate to match heated bed
    16. Drill holes in aluminum angle stock match holes in heated bed and aluminum plate
    17. Secure aluminum angle stock to bed carriage with M3 5mm bolts and thread locker (Loctite or similar)
    18. Test to ensure heat bed, angle stock and aluminum plate align
    19. Remove bottom cover of RL200
    20. Remove one side of original t-slot extrusion by removing bolts from below and bolts from side of the z-bracket
    21. Slide original extrusion out
    22. Slide new 395mm extrusion in – I used silicon lubricant before as you will have to do some repositioning after you have the other side in to ensure it’s square
    23. Ensure that the extrusion is centred by measuring both ends against the lower frame
    24. Repeat steps 20-22 for the other side
    25. Measure to ensure that both sides are equal and that the Z-Bracket is centred on them
    26. Reattach the back plate with stepper motor
    27. Slide 400 mm linear rails through and seat in holes
    28. Slide bed carriage with aluminum extensions onto the rails
    29. Reattach front aluminum plate
    30. Slide carriage to the back to get it out of the way
    31. Fit belt for size – I wrapped it around the stepper motor and over the front idle pulley - then pulled it tight – marked the spot and then cut it.
    32. Loosen the bolts on the front idler puller to give the belt some slack
    33. Attach the belt to the Y-belt bracket after threading through idler pulley
    34. Slip it over the Stepper gear, put the tensioner on and then tighten the idler pulley
    35. Attach the Y-belt holder to the bed carriage
    36. Test it all moves smoothly – if it doesn’t your extruder rails may be out of square
    37. Route your heat bed and thermistor cables - wire them up
    38. Slide bed carriage to the front, use M3 20mm bolts from below into holes in aluminum angle stock, then secure from above with M3 locknut or thread locker – then add springs, then heat bed and aluminum plate – use M3 wingnut (not sure if this is a thing) or M3 bolt (as I’m using)
    39. Go to your config file in Marlin and change the section for Y_Max_POS from 200 to 312.
    40. Change your #define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT back to 160 for the GT2 belt if you set it to 157 for the MXL
    41. Print all the things, but bigger!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by clayton; 06-03-2015 at 09:17 PM. Reason: fixed size of extrusion - sorry!

2. Thanks Fixx thanked for this post
    Likes Fixx liked this post
    Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a quick youtube video -

Post Thanks / Like
    OMG that's fantastic! The degree of hacks we're coming up with is amazing

Can't wait to add this to the 200XL so it will turn up 20x31x40! wohoo!

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. Thats a fantastic mod. Doesnt seem that difficult either
    Amazing work. Will look into it my self.

On this setup you could also counter warping in the Y-axis by installing another set of bedscrews at the center

Post Thanks / Like
    Wdy mean another set of bedscrews on the center Jonatan?

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nicely done Clayton!

Was that 20-2020 or 30-3030? 80/20 extrusion?
    Last edited by milstream; 06-03-2015 at 11:02 AM.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    To counter warping of the alu-bed, Right now the setup is using one screw in each corner. You can with this setup that Clayton has - drill additional holes on the side between the two existing.

But from what i can tell from the images - he already has drilled those holes

Post Thanks / Like
    Time for a stepbystep instructable howto, clayton

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll get around to the step-by-step in the next 48 hours or so - to answer a few questions now:

- Yes, I drilled the mid length holes, but so far I don't notice any warpage - I used 1/8" aluminum 6011T6 sheet - will consider it if I notice a warp.

- It is the 20/20 - that is just 20mm X 20mm square - it's the same as the link I posted to Amazon. you can find it locally as well and they will generally cut to suit. This would be easier than what I did, with a hacksaw and then sanding it with a beltsander to make it level.

- I tapped the metal rails with a M3 tap, but in V2 - I am going to invert the M3 bolts, use a lock-nut and use wing nuts on the top of the bed to help level it.

It prints noticably better now - the old rails were a little warped and it moves more smoothly. Also there is no slop now in the bolt holding the bed - I found they did not seat well on the original bed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by clayton View Post
    I'll get around to the step-by-step in the next 48 hours or so - to answer a few questions now:
    - I tapped the metal rails with a M3 tap, but in V2 - I am going to invert the M3 bolts, use a lock-nut and use wing nuts on the top of the bed to help level it.

-Also there is no slop now in the bolt holding the bed...I found they did not seat well on the original bed.
    What are those two steps about? Not sure if I understood them well?