Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like

CubePro RetroFit vs Ender / Prusa / Ultimaker

Is there anyone here that did some type of retrofit of CubePro (single extruder) and can compare it's printing accuracy to a something like a well dialed in Ender 5 Plus, or a Prusa, possibly Ultimaker. Assuming the retrofit was with the same bed, heated or not does not matter, sicne we can use glue stick to print cold.

What type of level of precision is present on the gantry as far as rods, carriage bearings......

Can I use electronics from Ender 5 to drive this gantry which is a lot more heavy? Will it produce lots of ringing. So if we compare a CubePro retrofitted with Either Ender electronics or Prusa Rambo electronics and their steppers and the speeds i'm going for are 60mm/sec or less printing at 100 micron. Is it worth doing a retrofit on one of these, assuming I get a new one with low hours so no wear and tear on the gantry, but I have no idea on quality control or precision level from the factory. It wasn't very expensive printer yet it has lots of parts in it, so logic would say not a lot of precision went into it.

Anyone with both Ender and Prusa and CubePro retrofit?

Cheers.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    CubePro is pretty tight. The build plate wobbles since it is cantilevered out a ways. People have retrofitted the CubePro with open source.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyDee View Post
    CubePro is pretty tight. The build plate wobbles since it is cantilevered out a ways. People have retrofitted the CubePro with open source.
    I have no idea what does mean "pretty tight", in the world of 3D printing we usually resort to a caliper and measure tolerance on X, Y, Z.....So if it's within 10-15 microns then it's pretty tight. The Bed can be reinforced with braces or dual Z conversion, the key is how does the gantry flex on X/Y, it's precision on tolerance and it's heavy weight moving around at 60mm/sec.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Best to run some prints and do your own analysis.

Pretty tight means it is not a piece of crap nor run of the mill components.
    It is a precision piece of equipment with quality bearings and heavy rails.

Do realize that CubePro went for $4K and tagged 'prosumer'.
    Now it is tagged obsolete and parts are impossible to get. That is why they are cheap now.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would be surprised to hear that there is any measurable flex in gantry or any other part of the assembly. All framing components are machined to very tight tolerances. I've pulled a few frames apart and the rods only fit into machined components when perfectly square. Like TD said, you won't find a single corner cut or bargain component anywhere on these printers.

IMO, the print quality issues of the printer are primarily driven by the weight of the print head assembly, especially the multi head versions. A fair amount of ringing is evident on all prints unless the speed is decreased dramatically or other modifications are made.

The OEM feed motors alone weigh in at 365g EACH. Unfortunately, my attempts to swap OEM motors for smaller/lighter versions were unsuccessful. I think the most likely culprit is the heated chamber, which seems to fry smaller motors within a few hours of working in the 60C heat. So this would most likely be an option for someone converting to a heated bed.
    Last edited by dougk12; 08-06-2021 at 06:56 PM.