Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like

Cube 3 / Ekocycle Disassembly

So I found out why the school gave me this printer, it's definitely got a problem.
    20210829_085636.jpg
    I'm confident I can engineer a bracket to catch the belt, but I need to get everything out of the way. I've checked YouTube and the other threads looking for how to take this apart, without any luck. I'm assuming there is probably a clip, or a pry point, or something really simple to get the bottom off and get to these screws?
    20210829_085657.jpg

I tried the "figure it out" method getting the front off the printer and broke some things (not the hotend, that was someone else) so I'm reluctant to just start pulling on things, and decided that asking would be a good idea :-)

Thank you in advance

-Wiz

- - - - - - - - - -

For anyone that comes across this thread, the black plastic bottom pries off. In the same area as all the wires come out of the print head is an allen screw that holds in the heat block. Removing that screw lets you take out the entire unit as a whole. You do not need to remove the allen screw that sits on the heat block itself. The middle black plastic piece has two phillips screws, remove those. Then you can gently pry between the middle black plastic and the white top and it will separate. I'll try to get some pictures and add them but it's pretty strait forward.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have never gotten the printhead completely off. But I do know the black cover snaps off. I've had the next piece break because of that, the piece that is held in with 2 screws.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    This was one of two I was given. As I was watching extruded filament ball up it dawned on me that the carriage wasn't moving along the X axis, so I took it apart to figure out why and found the belt clamp was seriously broken up (as well as cracks in the carriage)
    20210829_151653.jpg
    Spent a bit of time in the shop and made a support that looks like it should clear everything ok
    20210829_151736.jpg
    Gluing it back together and adding the support now.

Fingers crossed. It was already at the "what am I going to do, break it?" point so I have nothing to lose. I don't think it'll add enough weight to cause any problems.

4. Likes TommyDee, bolsoncerrado liked this post
    Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Wiz, I have a spare one of these that you are welcome to. It appears that you've removed the linear rail seat, which I believe is a no no. I can see one of the balls missing in your pic.

Anyways, swapping the print head assembly is HARD. Getting the entire assembly off without breaking anything is tough but getting another back on is a whole new level of frustrating. Making custom tools and using glue in bolts so you can get them in place frustrating. If given the choice to do it again, I'd probably choose plan B - sell the components and frame then snag up a working model.

If that doesn't scare you away, the part is yours for the cost of shipping.

- - - - - - - - - -

OK, so funny story.... right after posting this it occurred to me that installation could have been much easier if I had taken the X axis linear rail off first, attached the print head assembly to it fully and then reinstalled as a single assembly. I have a couple of skeletons sitting around and a quick test validated that it would have been MUCH easier to do this.

As soon as I am done punching myself in the stones, I'll answer your PMs and see if I can assist.

If I ever had to do this again, I'd pull the entire linear rail and print head assembly off of one and swap. I probably wasted 4+ hours doing it the other way...

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the info and the offer, I actually have had the printer back up and running flawlessly for weeks. I hadn't noticed the missing ball, I suspect someone may have had it apart before. You are correct about mounting the print head to the rail before installing the entire assembly, that's what I ended up doing. The only thing I had to do that I consider questionable is the sequence of the allen head screws on the belt tension vs the screws holding the rail slide on. I ended up adjusting it so there was just enough play in the carriage teeth that the belt sits in to force it in. Installing the belt before installing the assembly was also a blessing. I've been pretty happy with this thing so far, it's nice to be able to sketch something up and print it without having to fight my printer :-)

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome! Always happy to hear about another Cube3 avoiding the landfill