Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3D Printer Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Power Supply Fuse?

Is there a fuse somewhere in the RL power supply?

My power switch stopped working . It had been intermittent a while back but seemed to have settled down, then recently it became 'sticky' i.e. sometimes it would not switch off and needed several pushes before it would eventually work but now it's stopped working stuck in the on position. Time to replace the switch so I purchased one of these http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/round-12v-...ed-green-n33fb round-12v-rocker-switch-illuminated-green.jpg
    I connected up the two Blue wires to the two Silver terminals and it seemed to work fine. I then connected the RED fan wire to the third Gold terminal to supply power for the LED and it lit briefly then died. I tried just connecting the two Blue wires again but now no power to the board so I'm guessing I blew a fuse somewhere? Hence why I ask if there is there a fuse somewhere on the RL power supply?
    It may be coincidence but the USB hub that my Alligator board usb cable was connected to has now also died, I do hope I haven't toasted my Alligator board !!!

EDIT: My Alligator board I think is ok as when I connect to the second USB port on board without the mains power it lights up like usual and Windows installed the driver for it. I also checked the new switch for continuity in the 'off' and 'on' positions and works like it should, so can probably rule that out as the cause of no power.
    Last edited by BobenhamHotspur; 08-22-2015 at 02:25 PM.

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, it does have one fuse inside the power supply. It is soldered though....
    Have you checked the fuse inside the power plug socket?
    See the photo from this post: http://www.print3dforum.com/showthre...highlight=fuse

3D Printer Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Boy do I feel dumb I even removed the power inlet block from the case to check at the back! I saw the sign on the front but didn't see how to open the fuse part until setting Joao's reply.
    So it's confirmed I blew the fuse trying to supply my switch with a voltage to light the LED. Any suggestions on where I can find a suitable power feed for the light on the LED?
    Fingers crossed my Alligator board does still work when I fix the fuse......

3D Printer Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Boy do I feel dumb I even removed the power inlet block from the case to check at the back! I saw the sign on the front but didn't see how to open the fuse part until seeing Joao's reply.
    So it's confirmed I blew the fuse trying to supply my switch with a voltage to light the LED. Any suggestions on where I can find a suitable power feed for the light on the LED?

Just tried to replace the fuse with a STD UK 3amp fuse and it's bigger than the original. Hope I can find one that fits.
    Last edited by BobenhamHotspur; 08-23-2015 at 09:08 AM.

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    When my plug socket fuse blew , it also blew the one inside the power supply. You might need to check that one also.

I didn't understand very well how you were trying to connect the power to the LED.
    Are you trying to use the same 230V supply inside the case, from the switch button, to power a transformer of a LED?
    Maybe a picture would help to assist you.

3D Printer Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I tried using one of the wires that used to power the m/board fan on the left side of the board. I ran a wire from the RED wire to the empty Gold (L) pin of the switch. It lit briefly then died probably blowing the fuse.
    The photo shows the switch with the Gold terminal on the Left and the RED & Black wires with connectors that used to power the fan.
    IMG_20150823_131454.jpg

3D Printer Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I tried using one of the wires that used to power the m/board fan on the left side of the board. I ran a wire from the RED wire to the empty Gold (L) pin of the switch. It lit briefly then died probably blowing the fuse.
    The photo shows the switch with the Gold terminal on the Left and the RED & Black wires with connectors that used to power the fan.
    IMG_20150823_131454.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I fitted a new fuse, powered it back on and everything seems ok
    I've not connected anything to the LED pin on the switch yet, I leave that until I get it ok'd by somebody with more knowledge than me.

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BobenhamHotspur View Post
    The original power switch cuts the Neutral of the ~250V supply from the power socket to the power supply, but the LED is 12V.
    As far as I remember, since I don't have the Rapide with me already for a few months, that 12V that powers the button LED was also the same of the fan.

Your new button might be 250V or 12V, not both, since it only has 3 connectors !!

If the button is 250V then you need to power the pin 3 (the golden) with the 250V Line power (red wire from mains).
    If the light turns ON no matter witch position is the rocker, then you have to swap the blue wires.

You were very lucky to not burn completely the motherboard, since connecting the Red wire of the 12V to that button you injected the Mains power supply to all 12V circuit (including the board).

- - - Updated - - -

I only realised now that you bought a 12V button !!

It works ok switching the 250V power supply (thats how you connected the blue Neutral 250V wires), but the LED can't be used.

If you want a simple rocker button like that than I suggest something like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5x-AC-6A-250VLight-ON-OFF-SPST-Round-Button-Dot-Boat-Car-Auto-Rocker-Switch-Red/301370798842

3D Printer Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joao View Post
    The original power switch cuts the Neutral of the ~250V supply from the power socket to the power supply, but the LED is 12V.
    As far as I remember, since I don't have the Rapide with me already for a few months, that 12V that powers the button LED was also the same of the fan.
    I saw the link that Holgmods posted for a replacement switch that said it was 12V so I bought a 12V switch

You were very lucky to not burn completely the motherboard, since connecting the Red wire of the 12V to that button you injected the Mains power supply to all 12V circuit (including the board).
    I think I have damaged at least the USB circuit as now my PC does not recognise the printer anymore I imagine repairing it is not possible

I only realised now that you bought a 12V button !!
    It works ok switching the 250V power supply (thats how you connected the blue Neutral 250V wires), but the LED can't be used.
    I hate electronics !!! I can't see how a 12V switch works for a 240V supply ??? any way seems pointless now having a switch for a f*cked up motherboard.
    My luck is just non existent

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    I never said the switch was 12 Volts.
    The 12 Volts was referring to the led voltage.... The switch is a 5A/250VAC
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A28IBXYHX49RZZ