Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kind of annoyed the official forum and bug report stuff went down- the exact same time they launched the Indiegogo campaign.
    Not crying foul quite yet, but it's way too much of a coincidence. More importantly, the fixed duty cycle on the heated bed is not yet a setting for the 0.91 update.

I haven't even connected to a machine because of this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is there a new IGG campaing for this?

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    OIC so basically a "storefront" to sell the stock... but the BBP1S is still unusable?!

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know that I call in completely unusable, but minimally, mildly annoying on the heated bed thing.
    Given my hardware (a 3.3 Ohm or roughly 160 Watts @ 24) would work fine when configured on most other controller boards and firmware but on this current 0.91 firmware is redistricted to no more than roughly 50% on when commanded full blast tops out at roughy 75C.

The comment by the developer before the forum all but vanished was that would be an option in the next or a future firmware build.
    They were pretty responsive- a good thing, and then scarily went dead silent.

Now it could be a glitch, it might be just the webpage, but it would be nice to hear something back rather than the all of nothing we have right now.
    I'm just saying it doesn't look good. Might not be intentional, but should be a red flag for anyone else looking at the board or considering backing the new Indiegogo.
    I'm not trying to badmouth them, but really, after getting burned on other crowdfunding projects- perception is EVERYTHING. If a person exhibits red flags, we need to be more vigilant as a community and warn others early and up front.

When you step back and look at the longer term project, it's not been without red flags. First getting called out on the source, minor delays happened, and then this.
    If you were calling 3 strikes- well right there you are.

As a workaround, if using single extruder, you can use the bed and thermistor and just remember to remap your slicer gcode to output the second heater like a heated bed. It's just a number and a convention. Annoying and a a real pain, but not impossible.

And that's the problem, this board isn't "yet" some massive improvement over other firmware and control boards. Maybe one day it will be and it's actually not bad hardware, but it's also not mature and extremely well featured firmware yet either.

Being honest, I'm also HIGHLY annoyed that the source code on Github is not the latest update to even match the code in 0.91 and i question how accurate it was to 0.90. Just because there is source- if it's incorrect, outdated, or not accurate, it's about worthless.

Post Thanks / Like
    ....as long as it does not require "hardcoding" of any of the chips aboard it

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    To my knowledge, nothing is hardcoded here. It's not an FPGA, or other programable logic. I think it follows the Replicape design pretty closely and does have an EEPROM on the board, but I have not read out the contents.

In the end, this is just a Beagle Bone Black and a bunch of stepper drivers and the required voltage shifting logic all on one board. It's actually not a bad board at all, a lot of my friends really like the connector layout and design choices. I knew that the firmware might not be mature when I backed it. I'd be OK with that if the developer kept responding and taking input in open and public.

The key is a 3D printer controller is 3 things and all need evaluated:
    #1 the board hardware and basic design.
    #2 the firmware must be mature and well tested. Internally it should follow good coding practices. Things like not using dynamic memory allocations, always initialize all variables, ensure a watchdog is running and effective, ensure error handling results in a safe state under all conditions etc.
    #3 The developer must remain active an open to inputs from the community and allow members to contribute. The code should be open source and kept up to date, and the repository must be public read for branching. I get it, that not everyone should have write capabilities- branch if you want to make your own, the main branch should follow a rigorous requirements test and safety test before each release.

If any of those is lacking- ultimately, the board is no longer better than anything else out there and will fail.

8. Likes HSF liked this post
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetguy View Post
    To my knowledge, nothing is hardcoded here. It's not an FPGA, or other programable logic. I think it follows the Replicape design pretty closely and does have an EEPROM on the board, but I have not read out the contents.

In the end, this is just a Beagle Bone Black and a bunch of stepper drivers and the required voltage shifting logic all on one board. It's actually not a bad board at all, a lot of my friends really like the connector layout and design choices. I knew that the firmware might not be mature when I backed it. I'd be OK with that if the developer kept responding and taking input in open and public.

The key is a 3D printer controller is 3 things and all need evaluated:
    #1 the board hardware and basic design.
    #2 the firmware must be mature and well tested. Internally it should follow good coding practices. Things like not using dynamic memory allocations, always initialize all variables, ensure a watchdog is running and effective, ensure error handling results in a safe state under all conditions etc.
    #3 The developer must remain active an open to inputs from the community and allow members to contribute. The code should be open source and kept up to date, and the repository must be public read for branching. I get it, that not everyone should have write capabilities- branch if you want to make your own, the main branch should follow a rigorous requirements test and safety test before each release.

If any of those is lacking- ultimately, the board is no longer better than anything else out there and will fail.

Well said.

1. With the exception of an onboard 5V regulator (which I have already installed, thanks for the tip!) the basic hardware design looks decent. Though we are still awaiting an LCD cape...
    2. Firmware - well, I think you have summed that up pretty well...though there is still time for the developer to recover here.
    3. Source control - clearly the weakest link thus far though again, recoverable if the developer makes the right moves sooner than later...

I hope to hear something from Mr. Steinkuehler (http://reprap.org/wiki/CRAMPS) about this board. I think he was a backer and is hopefully having a close look at the firmware as well. Worst case, maybe the CRAMPS firmware could be adapted to run on the BBP...

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetguy View Post
    I don't know that I call in completely unusable, but minimally, mildly annoying on the heated bed thing.
    Given my hardware (a 3.3 Ohm or roughly 160 Watts @ 24) would work fine when configured on most other controller boards and firmware but on this current 0.91 firmware is redistricted to no more than roughly 50% on when commanded full blast tops out at roughy 75C.
    I haven't installed my bed or hooked up the heater but I am using a 600W 120V heater using a solid sate dc to ac relay. I'll have to see how it performs with the current config. I do have one of these on hand though that I was thinking of using for chamber heat temp control during printing or for filament drying (I am housing my reels within my chamber). Instead, I opted to just utilize the waste heat from my bed to heat the chamber and use an exhaust fan to regulate the chamber temperature. I could still use the PID controller for the bed in a pinch...

I did see some values in the firmware that could be regulated the bead heat...will have to look closer...may tweak those after a baseline check and see what happens...

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have this board installed on my makergear m2 and in its current form it is not usable yet. The z stage drifts badly if it moves correctly at all. I switched z to x and z perfoms as expected .No fan outputs work with any 12v fan I have . The USB connection disconnects a lot. I prefer start and end gecode in the slicer. If like me you want to actually use your printer I suggest waiting for future updates and some conformation people are having luck with it. I am debating going back to my rambo until things mature. If they ever do. I too am miffed at the forums being gone and now they are on indigogo with another round of funding for a product that is unusable at a cheaper price. I guess I will have to wait and see . One thermocouple. Bait and switch. I will say it has a lot of potential to be great. I am not sure I trust them to deliver at this point.