Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PcS View Post
    I have this board installed on my makergear m2 and in its current form it is not usable yet. The z stage drifts badly if it moves correctly at all. I switched z to x and z perfoms as expected .No fan outputs work with any 12v fan I have . The USB connection disconnects a lot. I prefer start and end gecode in the slicer. If like me you want to actually use your printer I suggest waiting for future updates and some conformation people are having luck with it. I am debating going back to my rambo until things mature. If they ever do. I too am miffed at the forums being gone and now they are on indigogo with another round of funding for a product that is unusable at a cheaper price. I guess I will have to wait and see . One thermocouple. Bait and switch. I will say it has a lot of potential to be great. I am not sure I trust them to deliver at this point.
    Appreciate the data point and additional warning! I will definitely take it slow and report my findings. I have a cheap MKS v1.2 fallback board that seems to work fine - I will use it until either this board firms up or something better arrives at a reasonable price point... Agreed on the thermocouple though I don't foresee using more than one high temp material at a time so it is more of a nice to have for me (though I'm not happy that they had indicated it would be included)...

Post Thanks / Like
    I did back this board bc of their hardware design but definetly sucking the fact the software is not even ready

Running a second IGG campaign without even having the first product ready is a no go move

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetguy View Post
    Another note in the firmware. Other than compiling from source, I don't see how to fix this with a simple setting.
    https://github.com/fastbot3d/firmware/tree/master/unicorn

The stepper hold settings are in parameter.h

This looks like Z hold is disabled??? But extruder hold is enabled???
    What this assumes is that your Z axis has enough friction that after each layer move, the stepper is disabled (no longer locked) which could result in the Z stage moving from gravity alone in some smooth printers.

* Disables axis when it's not being used.
    */
    #define DISABLE_X_EN false
    #define DISABLE_Y_EN false
    #define DISABLE_Z_EN true
    #define DISABLE_E_EN false
    This seems to be one of my problems. Looked at git hub today and it has changed to false. May have to reload software .

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    First, good news, the developer hit me up personally and shot me a non-public beta that I'll try to test tonight.
    I'll report back more of what I know ASAP.

I don't expect this to be miracle firmware yet, but hopefully this next fix gets us to a point where a baseline is reached and we can test more and really get into printing.

I'm willing to let it slide since the developer is actively taking my inputs and advice and is being extremely responsive.
    I know many of you expected it to work out of the box, but that's not always realistic.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let us know . I knew going in there would be hurdles. I was able to start a print and get a few layers but the z stepper issue killed it.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Before the forum went down (didn't check to see if it's back up) the developer said the Z hold was enabled in the firmware. Now, given what I know about the M2 and some limitations in that printer, are you 100% sure you set the driver current correctly and limited speeds as required for your printer??? In my testing, I didn't see a Z problem in the actual firmware- just the original config I linked to in the github that may have not been valid for the actual firmware.

Per a series of posts by Ed http://softsolder.com/2013/04/10/makergear-m2-z-axis-stepper-motor/ and http://softsolder.com/2013/07/02/makergear-m2-better-z-axis-motor-calculations/ and http://softsolder.com/2013/06/28/makergear-m2-z-axis-stepper-motor-transplant/

- - - Updated - - -

Again, not trying to doubt you, but I think it might be a stepper current for Z needs set higher for your specific M2 configuration. Speed limits could also be an issue and one the stepper begins slipping/skipping, that heavy Z stage might really be marginal.

I have nothing against the M2 design, just I talk often with Ed and followed his problems and fixes. He and I go a long way back on stepper motor calcs for 3D printers.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    If I switch z to x or y the problem goes away. It is only the z driver. And at default m2 currents it is totally useless. Which from memory I think was set to 165 . It will run a little at 800. Almost usable at 1800. I may have gotten a bad board. I personally have not had any z stage issues with my printer and respect Ed and his fixes.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Of another note looking at linked stuff he has a 19v m2 with the older stepper motor. Mine is 24v with the upgraded z stepper . :-)

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great, Let's know test result.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetguy View Post
    First, good news, the developer hit me up personally and shot me a non-public beta that I'll try to test tonight.
    I'll report back more of what I know ASAP.

I don't expect this to be miracle firmware yet, but hopefully this next fix gets us to a point where a baseline is reached and we can test more and really get into printing.

I'm willing to let it slide since the developer is actively taking my inputs and advice and is being extremely responsive.
    I know many of you expected it to work out of the box, but that's not always realistic.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    I ran into a few minor bugs but want to share the good news, one major fix was the boot loader is updated such that it instantly kills the PWM outputs of the heaters and fans upon a reset.
    Since I had problems, they are working on it today and hopefully we have this resolved and a new patch soon.

Again, very good progress as far as I'm concerned.