3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    it goes so far then it crash in til build
    Attachment 1428

- - - Updated - - -

can it be someting with steps pr mm?

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's pretty much the Kit I built earlier this year. Mechanically and electrically great, but I reckon I have config.h file and various settings wrong. Prints start off ok but at random points in a print the head steps up to a new position and resumes printing. Not all prints fail. It'll print a 20mm calibration square beautifully. So frustrating. Nearly given up.
    What software you using? Any way I could look at your config?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear that Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyCov View Post
    What software you using? Any way I could look at your config?
    I am using the Marlin firmware from the Release Candidate 6. https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin/releases
    I haven't yet moved to the RC7 because there are too many changes and the new official version of Marlin is going to be released soon.
    My configurations are here: https://github.com/nomukaiki/Marlin/...tions/KosselXL

If you'd like to have full control over your printer (regardless of which brand or model), I'd definitely suggest that you understand every detail of it's configuration.
    Start by analysing the Configuration.h file, the pins*.h file, and maybe if you are into it the Configuration_adv.h

The behaviour that you explain might be caused by many reasons:
    - Firmware with problems (try to use a more recent version and adjust the configurations);
    - Power supply not enough;
    - Some electrical wiring not well connected;
    - Stepper motor's drivers are not fine tuned.

My bet would be on this last one. Check here how do adjust the driver's current: https://youtu.be/89BHS9hfSUk
    Be careful because you can easily burn the drivers or the Ramps board by simply shorting the 12V on the Ramps board with the 5V circuit (I've done that myself a couple of times).

Good luck and keep us posted of your progress.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Joao.
    I had a good look through your config.h yesterday- there are just a few differences with hardware types that tell me I would need to go quite deep to make sure I had a working Marlin file. I'm familiar with my config.h and am confident modifying values etc.
    An Arduino-savvy friend came round yesterday and we became satisfied that the code or config is not the issue.
    Motor volts were set as per build instructions using a multimeter but not as in depth as the video you suggested.
    Whilst we've seen some odd print fails that look like software related issues, I'm convinced the bigger problem has been with print settings. When it faults we usually hear a thump. I'm satisfied now the belts aren't jumping teeth. I concluded the nozzle has been catching a print edge on some print moves, causing the steppers to slip steps. I've added a lift on non-print moves and so far, all prints have succeeded. We're using an Sd card but have also printed from Pronterface in the past.
    Now we're having problems with slic3r. Never had any good results from Repetier or Cura so far. This is the next stop on the learning curve!

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Andy.
    I'm glad that you did some progress.
    If you believe that you will spend many hours with this new hobby, I would definitely suggest to invest on the software Simplyfy3D.
    It will save you many of those hours of frustration and confidence that the slicer and printer control is at it's best.
    Anyhow, motors jumping or skipping steps are most likely the stepper driver warming too much and loosing power, caused by those tiny annoying voltage adjustments that shouldn't be disregarded.

Keep us updated about your progress and post some pictures of your prints.

Best,
    Joao

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Joao
    I think I spoke too soon anyway. Been having it step out this afternoon so will definitely review motor voltages.
    Instructions said set x,y,z at 1.0-1.3v on drive board and extruder at 1.24-1.3v.
    Which way should I be heading- 1.0 or 1.3v?

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    The voltage depends on the motors that you have.
    You can find clear instructions here: https://www.pololu.com/product/1182

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Joao. No need to answer..I'm checking this out properly now. Not sure the instructions I've been given are right!

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    The plot thickens! I need to check if I'm running in full step mode.
    Motor is xy42sth34-1334a with 1.33A current limit/phase. Board is A4988.
    Suggests Vref should be 1.33/2.5= 0.53V. If in full step this could be (1.33/0.7)/2.5= 0.76V- both values a long way from 1.0-1.3V kit instruction if I'm reading the Pololu info correctly.

Now I really would appreciate any input you can offer.
    I'll check the set voltages tomorrow and maybe reset.

Original kit instruction looks like..
    Looks like it's wrong then.