Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kossel XL

Hybrid View

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like

Kossel XL

I've bought this Kossel XL from AliExpress.

Took me a while to assemble the kit and configure.
    But everything is working perfectly fine.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/heate...506620241.html

heated-bed-with-linear-guide-LCD-Display-Reprap-Delta-Rostock-balck-or-gold-k800xl-DIY-Kit.jpg

2. Likes bolsoncerrado liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its looking really good! And looks really "high"!

Please post prints when you have them! And pics of your own machine too

How much were you charged at Customs btw?

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bolsoncerrado View Post
    Its looking really good! And looks really "high"!

Please post prints when you have them! And pics of your own machine too

How much were you charged at Customs btw?
    It is really high and the maximum print height is almost half the height of the printer.

These delta printers are are a different ballgame, it took me a lot of time to learn how to tune and calibrate it. I didn't have enough time during the weekend to make the first print but it's almost there. The next thing is really getting a sticky bed because the first layer is not adhering to the borosilicate.

I paid to DHL 20 pounds for customs. The printer arrived in 6 days after paid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not bad then!

I did see the height! It's impressive. The main difference with deltas is the height and speed so let's see what it can do once you fine tune it

Are you going back to the hairspray days I guess

How good the components look like?

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    After assembled, the overall construction is sturdy, even having the main frame supports being 3D printed. In the videos that they use to advertise, those parts are from injection, but thats not a problem since the ABS they used is strong and it looks like solid prints.

The control board is an Arduino Mega with the Ramps 1.4 and they work like a charm. The connection with Simplify3D is perfect and the Arduino firmware changes are very quick and easy to apply (I've done already a few times to tune it).

I was a bit disappointed with the linear rails. They don't slide as smooth as the rods or wheels versions. I can feel the tiny ball bearings inside moving or stepping around, similar to that tiny bumps you feel when turning a offline stepper motor. Maybe it's a matter of lack of silicon lubrication, it is very greasy though not silicon... At least they don't wobble, there is no play at all.
    I haven't tested other linear rails so I can't compare.

There are a lot of improvements worth doing here, but for the total cost paid this is definitely worth it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! My expectations were on the linear rails precissely, but if they can be easily replaced, may be the whole thing deserves a nice place in a makers room

Let's see what speed and performance you can get out of it. "No play" already sounds good enough.

BTW where is the spool placed?

Post Thanks / Like
    I've checked with the spanish community and the best smart move you should do next is get an "original" RAMPS+Arduino combo and get rid of the chinese clones.

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    BTW where is the spool placed?
    I haven't decided yet, the extruder is on the top of the frame and they have photos of the spool just next to it on top also.
    I might keep it where I used to have that is inside a closed box with all the other filaments and the bottom filled with moisture absorber (kitten litter)

I've checked with the spanish community and the best smart move you should do next is get an "original" RAMPS+Arduino combo and get rid of the chinese clones.
    These boards are not clones, they are original. At least they are branded as original and even say "Made in Italy".

Maybe you can invite some of your patriots to jump in here and post some useful guides for the delta printers?

Post Thanks / Like
    They were invited long ago, but since the spanish community is very big and "very own" already, and very.... "spanish"... they tend to stay there already lol But if you want me to keep asking questions let me know. Glad to help.

Nice to know the RAMPS+Ardu look like "original" parts

Post Thanks / Like
    While I was typing you someone just pointed me to forget about 8bit boards and mnove to a 32bit board asap for a delta, and to join the following group:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/deltabot

This board was also recommended:

http://es.aliexpress.com/store/produ...toreId=1047297

Unless of course you wanna purchase the original one.