Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like

Why the wasted time when using two colors?

I was a little excited to finally get this old Cube 3 into shape to print with both print jets. The possibilities seemed endless, now I realize it is the waiting that is endless. I can't figure out why it has to take a break over the purge pit every time it changes sides. It's not like both filaments share the same nozzle and it needs to purge the other color out before printing the next. It seems like a major inefficiency unless I am missing something. Does it need time to get the next print jet up to temperature so it just pauses over the purge tank while it warms up? In any case, using the second spool double the print time, which already seemed interminable.

The other problem brought on by using both sides is the wipers in the purge bins. I think mine are to old and worn. For whatever the reason the don't do a very good job of wiping the plastic off of the nozzle. Each time it returns from purging it is likely to drag back a string of plastic to get stuck onto the printing object, making a heck of a mess. It might help if I could replace the wipers. Has anybody found a replacement for these?

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    I found two-color printing to be a novelty. I like changing colors in the middle of the print ;]

CubePro too does a dance at every change. It makes a bigger mess than Cube3 for sure.
    I've done a couple of very successful grafts though... lay down a layer and print a different part around it. Only good for the first layer though, and precise centering would be required. You can do some nice inlays this way.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not me. Others have replaced all the electronics with open source hardware.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    This topic gave me some ideas, I think it's necessary to try something different.