Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Unsticking Print Reloaded

Now it seems FTD resin wont stick to my Z axis at all :??? No matter how much pressure I put towards the film, there's no way the FTD resin cures on the metal plate :??

I've tried the standard setting of 5 back layers at 10, 12, 15 and 20 seconds and there's no way!

I always get it perfectly cured.... but on the FILM!

As you can see, you can notice the "spots" of the metal plate cured on the resin, but for an unknown reason, it never sticks to it!? "Like if" the film got reversed somehow! (and it NEVER happened, believe me, I only got ONE film and I never reversed it!).

Any clues/suggestions here???

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bolsoncerrado View Post
    Now it seems FTD resin wont stick to my Z axis at all :??? No matter how much pressure I put towards the film, there's no way the FTD resin cures on the metal plate :??

I've tried the standard setting of 5 back layers at 10, 12, 15 and 20 seconds and there's no way!

I always get it perfectly cured.... but on the FILM!

As you can see, you can notice the "spots" of the metal plate cured on the resin, but for an unknown reason, it never sticks to it!? "Like if" the film got reversed somehow! (and it NEVER happened, believe me, I only got ONE film and I never reversed it!).

Any clues/suggestions here???
    By any chance, if you cleaned the buildplate with alcohol, did you leave it to dry?
    While I only did 3 curing test prints with FTD, my base layers exposure needed to go up to 30-50 seconds.
    Last edited by woale; 03-17-2016 at 06:07 PM.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    The base layers need to be 50s, whilst the remaining layers can go to 10-13s. The FTD resin appears to be more oily than the MJ+ and I have had many issues with the resin not sticking to the plate. It sticks better if you clean the plate with IPA between prints and dry thoroughly to remove the oily layer. Pretty much as what woale said

4. Thanks bolsoncerrado thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    50 seconds! Woah! I admit I didnt go that far! I'll try again.

I did clean the plate with IPA although I dont know what difference will it make since you soak the plate a few times on the resin so its distrubuted evenly on the surface???

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are your prints sticking ok now @bolsoncerrado? I recently suffered from a lot of failed prints where platform adhesion was a problem. I have come up with a great solution though:

- clean the build platform
    - use a spatula to 'smear' some resin on the area the print will stick to
    - using a UV laser pen, quickly sketch some lines or rough pattern on the resin in the build area
    - wipe away excess resin an you now have a thin layer of resin for the new resin to stick to.

Works all the time for me now. I'll keep testing other things and post back with a successful print.

Post Thanks / Like
    WOw that sounds like a psycho-genius work! Congratz on the idea!

This reminded me I backed this project recently too:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-repair-and-gl