Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Aurarum TPE

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like

Angry Aurarum TPE

Anyone in Aus tried to print with the Aurarum brand flexible filament? I have no trouble printing ninjaflex (I've modified the extruder to hold some teflon tube between the gear and the hot-end tube), but can't for the life of me get the local product to work :/ Starts off extruding ok, then within a minute or so it just slows to a stop - gotta reverse the flow and cut out the kinked filament. Repeat ad nauseum.

Has anyone gotten this stuff to work? Any hint/tips? I'd like to get this Australian made filament to work - particularly given ninjaflex doesn't seem to be sold in the country any more, and I don't particularly want to deal with exchange rates and international shipping...

3D Printer Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just some generic flexible filament printing suggestions;
    Go slow
    Print everything at the same speed
    No retraction (if you can possibly get away with it)
    Try a bigger dia nozzle 0.5/0.6
    Heat it to, just below running out of the nozzle temp

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is just test extruding manually, haven't even gotten to the print stage yet. Haven't tried the larger diameter nozzle, I'll give that a go - though I'll be going from 0.4 to 0.5, so not sure how much difference it'll make.

3D Printer Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    My experience (with Ninjaflex semi) is that it prints better if you keep it moving at a constant pace, more stopping and starting = more chance of kinking. By actually printing something you keep the flow moving and the act of printing almost helps pull the filament out. Try printing a small test piece rather than just test extruding a few cm's every now and then.

The larger nozzle may have just been a coincidence so don't put too much store in that.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    The larger nozzle will present (slightly) less pressure to extrude.

My usual process when changing filament out is to continuously extrude about 500mm of the new filament in order to completely purge any traces of the old stuff, so it's not like I'm stop/starting the process too much.

As I said in the original post, ninjaflex (original, not semi-flex) prints fine. Just seems to be a bit of a difference with the local supplier in that the filament is more flexible and/or has a higher surface friction than ninjaflex, causing it to bind up. I've experimented with lubricating the filament with WD40 as it goes into the extruder which seemed to help, but not for long. I'll try again with silicone spray tonight...

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Haven't tried the Aurarum TPE but I have been using Blueprinted 3D TPU & it prints really well, not sure if its as rubbery though.

7. Thanks Maindog thanked for this post
    Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice one, hadn't heard of them.