Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like

Help needed with firmware

Hi,

I recently had the issue that my printer stopped printing midprint so I decided that is was time to replace the standared rapide board with an other board.

I chose for the Rumba board. everything is well installed but I've come to the hard part: the firmware. I'm a complete noob in all of this but I've managed to find the original firmware in an already exsisting thread. ( http://www.print3dforum.com/showthre...oard-%28WIP%29 )

Now I've managed to upload this firmware to my new Rumba board and I can already connect to it. I can also start extruder and bed heating.

My main issue that I have now at the moment is that I can't figure out for the live of me how to make my steppermotors work. All I can say is that they're connected in the right way. I haven't touched any code.

Is there someone that can help me with this?

Already in your debt,

a fellow Rapide Lite owner.

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Rapide Lite is a standard 3D printer. All the components are 'normal' and used by almost all of the other printers.
    If you use the Rumba1.4+Arduino boards, you don't need to stick to a specific firmware and you can use the latest provided by the Marlin team: https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin
    I am using the version RC6 since a few months and is working great.

The only thing you need to do is to edit the Configuration.h and the correct pins.h file for your board.

You can change a lot of the settings according to your preference.
    For example which pins to use, the location of the stepper drivers, etc. It is very handy to have the pinout diagram of the Ramps so you can select the best pins to connect your printer switches, thermistors, motors, etc.
    http://www.geeetech.com/wiki/index.php/Ramps1.4

Be cautious with the stepper drivers. They make a bridging from the 5V and 12V circuits, and a wrong placement or a slightly screwdriver short-circuit will burn the stepper driver or even the Rumba (easily repairable though).
    https://www.pololu.com/product/2133

The best way to do it right is to read a lot, and test...
    Hack your way to understand how the printer really works, how to change the Arduino firmware, and have fun mixed with many hours of frustration and continuous successes.

If you get to a dead end, feel free to ask for help to unblock you (and move on to the next one...).

Best of luck,
    Joao

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Joao,

Many thanks for your reply. at least I now know in wich folders to look I'll continue my search to make it work on monday

You think I should rather use the latest Marlin firmware? I don't like to adjust alot of code so which one would be the quickest to get me going? xD

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    The latest version has a lot of fixes since the official release, and better organized configurations and pins files. Much easier to setup.
    I definitely suggest using the most recent, the RC6. I am currently the version https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin/tree/RCBugFix and is working good to me.

It is very quick to make it working, after you get used to all the places that you need to configure... Before that, is exploring time.
    You definitely need to change the pins (look for those files and find exactly which type of Rumba do you have, the main difference is how you will use the connector D8 D9 D10), and the Configurations.h
    Last edited by Joao; 06-11-2016 at 04:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    @Joao, are you using latest Marlin....where? in your Delta?

@BGFlor a pic of your board setup and we can tell if you set up your DRV upside down...

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like

Board setup picture

I've uploaded the new firmware that Joao recommended using.
    I can connect with printer and can heat extruder. he doesn't find my heatbed at the moment but I'm sure it'll be just some simple settings. still no movement in the steppermotors :/ I'll check the pins out tommorow.

Also weird thing that is happening is that when my endstops get activated my board disconnects from my printer? is that also a setting that needs to be tweaked? they're connected

Here you go:

13410660_10207764567086994_1788079531_o.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BGflor; 06-12-2016 at 10:03 PM.

3D Printer Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BGflor View Post
    I've uploaded the new firmware that Joao recommended using.
    I can connect with printer and can heat extruder. he doesn't find my heatbed at the moment but I'm sure it'll be just some simple settings. still no movement in the steppermotors :/ I'll check the pins out tommorow.

Also weird thing that is happening is that when my endstops get activated my board disconnects from my printer? is that also a setting that needs to be tweaked? they're connected

Here you go:
    If your endstops are causing a disconnect then you have them on the wrong pins and they are causing a short (been there done that as Joao will confirm ).
    Did you check the driver chip orientation yet as I suggested in your other post?

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    HI Boben,

Thanks for your reply. I'll check the endstop wiring again this evening

For the drivers, I'm like 90% percent sure they're positioned correctly. I think it all has to do with the firmware. In which I am a complete noob!

Tonight the search for a working 3D printer continues

Post Thanks / Like
    Same as here:

http://www.print3dforum.com/showthre...ll=1#post36512

I'd say they're positioned upside down.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here, found another one:

Again, potentiometers touching the MOTORS side, not the RUMBA letters.