Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyDee View Post
    Don can chime in, but I was referring to his efforts to replace the plastic shell with printed parts.
    He is working on incorporating a "key" to drive the filament into the tube.
    I have run into some problems with the "extruder hub" (cartridge replacement). I am going to post what I have done so far and ask that others look at it and make suggestions. The main problem is being able to drive the filament from the front. If you don't bother printing the gear and use it as is, it works very well. It actually works MUCH better than the original cartridge. The retraction is much better and it doesn't make that clacking sound when it retracts.

Stay tuned...

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don, I would go and try tapping into the drive motor and making a jog paddle.
    I don't know if it needs to be isolated from the original circuit though like a relay the divert all 4 lines.
    There's got to be an Atafruit jog wheel that would run a stepper motor directly if you tap the power somewhere.

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyDee View Post
    Don, I would go and try tapping into the drive motor and making a jog paddle.
    I don't know if it needs to be isolated from the original circuit though like a relay the divert all 4 lines.
    There's got to be an Atafruit jog wheel that would run a stepper motor directly if you tap the power somewhere.
    My goal on this is to not have to modify the printer at all. I want this to be something that anyone can print and use. But I appreciate the suggestion.

- - - - - - - - - -

I just posted it.
    http://www.print3dforum.com/showthre...ll=1#post41199

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone else ever try to salvage a print?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    What is that? ABS warping?

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lokbuild doesn't like my silver PLA. Very hard stuff.

Come to think of it, neither did the Cube until I modified the filament cog.

- - - - - - - - - -

Its been a while for saga...

Today I cancelled an order with The 3D Printer Guy.
    Like everyone else, they sell 3rd party orders and after an email 4 days ago, and a phone call today, 10 days after my order, I get informed that my filament was on backorder and that is the reason it has not shipped. I've placed and received orders from China since that order for Pete's sake! They did call me right back after leaving a message and gave me the full story. No word for 10 days without backorder notification is a no-show for me. It all comes down to having a reliable supply chain. The 3D Printer Guy ain't one of them.

Going to continue investigating PrintRBot filament. Direct from factory is a little high in shipping but fairly priced PLA in 1.1lbs spools.

- - - - - - - - - -

Had a print fail today because the 4mm tubing was still restricting the filament too much as it went to the nozzle.

Funny how 2mm tubing is not always a full 2mm inside diameter.

- - - - - - - - - -

I am learning it may be a good idea to remove and re-install Cubify 4.03.
    After a year, the folder is stuffed! ...with 2Gb of just about everything the printer has ever seen.

If I delete something, I want that to be deleted.
    It doesn't make me happy that this huge trail of crumbs remains behind.

You've been informed

- - - - - - - - - -

Yesterday had a saga event. Got the new printer from eBay.
    Yep, the plastic piece is cracked... functional but not right.

0 feedback seller of course. He replied <paraphrase> know nothing about them, so sorry.

Now to craft feedback for a newbie eBay'r.

cracked.PNG
    Last edited by TommyDee; 05-23-2017 at 01:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Was the box actually sealed?

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh yes. Just another 3DS factory screw up.

If you look, there is a couple of slots that hold the print-head to the carriage.
    Then they have these little adjustment screws to level the print-head prior to finally cinching down the actual screws that hold the print-head.
    Seems they were just tightening the holding screws and forcing the adjustment after that.
    Du'h!

What it means is that any head-crashes could mess up the leveling.

- - - - - - - - - -

Now I finally go through the vetting process on the new printer.

First problem was the cracked head part.

Second problem: No 120V cord!

Third problem: Power supply would not plug in. You could see it straining the connector on the printer side.
    Upon closer inspection, there was a black plastic booger in the power supply connector! Removed the bugger and all is good.
    Now I know why some other plugs are not easy to install/remove.

Forth problem; this came with a white and neon green cartridge. Tried purging the white and nothing came out. Ha! See image.
    And after the purge, still 100%!

oops.PNG

Fifth: I don't know how they did it, but the little included hex wrench is bent! not the normal 90 degrees, but maybe 120 degrees!

Had I been a newbie to these things, I'd be somewhat irate!

- - - - - - - - - -

Finally got the 4th cube set up. Firmware update; tested left and right; DIY upgrade.

Now I need more LokBuild.

qube4.PNG

Post Thanks / Like
    So after all, you use lokbuild AND glue every time?

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    No, I just don't remove the glue

I ordered 3 more lokbuilds on ebay from Canada.

Stock filament, no need for the glue. inland, no glue; printrbot - glue; abs - glue and 3d builder.

And LokBuild does hold glue better than a stock 3D plate and it protects it! ...and it has that slightly compliant adhesive layer for removing prints.