Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
    Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    It sure sounds like they sent something other than ABS. Likely PLA mis-labeled.

Is there a Home Plastic Chemical Analysis Kit on the market yet??

3D Printer God(dess)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your nose It smelled a little like ABS but yes, it seems they forgot to clean the augur between an ABS and PLA run.

I am sure someone makes a reliable quality ABS.
    I found their Fun Pack quite revealing about consistency, particularly with how dark the color is.
    One print was White with a continued print with black. A fairly heavy body and sizable measuring cup.
    The black crumbled away (slightly exaggerated here), separated from the white completely, and the remaining white piece is as flexible and tough as you'd expect of a quality ABS. No crackling, splitting, or wall separation on a 4-trace wide wall thickness (no fill).
    I guess that was just a red herring. Or just characteristics of these particular runs.

- - - - - - - - - -

I don't know why but I keep forgetting one strange fact when printing the test print on the Cube...
    The extrusion feed and/or the motion velocity do not match up with the current Cube 3 slicer.
    Where I get very loose adhesion on the test print, I get much better adhesion in the following print sent from the library.
    The slicer used for the test print is obviously a much earlier version if you note all the small differences, including this one.

There must be at least 2 built-in .cube3 files for the test print. Does anyone know how to extract it?
    I'd like to convert it to a point file to see what's changed.

- - - - - - - - - -

Wow! Remember I said I order a Cube 2 spool of ABS on eBay to test the material?

The shipment was sitting in the USPS waiting-for-item status for almost a week.
    Challenged the seller on Friday...
    End of day Monday I shoot him another message...
    and yesterday I get a refund!
    Absolutely terrible communication and still no reason for the cancellation!
    Avoid expresstech7 on eBay unless you have more patience than I do.

- - - - - - - - - -

Let's try again. Ordered up a couple of Cubex cartridges with ABS from a couple of different sellers. I will let you know how much filament these actually hold. This shouldn't be this hard!

- - - - - - - - - -

Darn, now I'm going to have to find more cart spools!

Got some info on the Cubex carts though! That belongs in its own thread.

- - - - - - - - - -

X-Axis lubrication day!

My workhorse white cube started kicking up a loud howl when it homed after the nozzle heating procedure commenced.

I know the original lubrication on the rails appears to be a solid grease.
    However, I've also seen liquid oil in the screw pockets of the rail.

Today I opted to put some light oil (bike chain oil or sewing machine oil) on the bottom side of the rail only to see if it would quiet things.
    Sure enough, no more squeal.

Let's see how long it lasts.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ha - I've wondered how long the factory lube on the rails might last.

At the rate you use yours and I use mine, I reckon I have another 30 years before I have to re-lubricate anything!!

3D Printer God(dess)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Linear rails are normally rated in 1,000's of kilometers or miles.
    The X-rail in particular is highly stressed just through the nozzle interface.
    The Y-interface is not far behind in terms of torture test.
    I suspect dust has worked its way into the carriage.
    I'll let you know how long the gentle "wetting" holds up.

- - - - - - - - - -

Not sure if this belongs in sagas but I was wondering if one of our own won the $40/USD eBay auction for a well used Cube3?

I was there ready to up the bid but decided against it at the last minute. Someone got a pretty good deal.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Saga: Recently the black oval extruder cover (on the bottom side of the carriage, where the print head tips are exposed) popped loose shortly after starting a print. I heard a snap, clicking, the extruder quit extruding, so I stopped the print. Hm. So I snapped the cover back in place. A while later, it did the same thing again. When it did I was away. The print head dropped down a bit and gouged a nice grid pattern into the build plate.

Rats! That had been a perfectly smooth plate...

It appears the tip of the print head presses into a tapered opening in the cover, thus applying a downward force, which eventually caused the cover to pop loose.
    I am using the TD "B2B" printed nozzle assembly; whether that makes a difference, I don't know.

I decided to relieve the pressure by drilling out the hole in the cover to clear the tip -- figuring that if that turned out bad, I could rotate the cover so the other hole was on the left. (I almost never use the right extruder).

Result: the tip of the print head protrudes a little further now, but it prints perfectly. And the cover stays put.

- - - - - - - - - -

Success: The built-in plate leveling function doesn't work so well with my new clear glass plate. It probably would work if I had Lok-Build or something.

Instead, I manually leveled the plate by raising the bed by hand and blocking it up with a 6 inch block of wood, plus a carpenter's wood shim to fine tune the height. I adjusted the height so that my .150mm gap gage just fit in the center of the plate. Then manually moving the print head carriage and the plate around to the corners, I could measure the adjustments needed to level front to rear and side to side.

After it was what I considered 'level enough', I ran a little test print to check it:

Test Print.jpg

3D Printer God(dess)
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just put tape on glass for auto-level, but okay ;p

Yes, Lokbuild will solve it.

Remember there are two levels of auto-leveling...

One is to make up for a really lousy setup and the other is to eliminate F/W correction.

I don't know how to force the Cube3 to zero the auto-level.
    If you did all this work, and the printer already has an auto-level value, you should get as close to zero compensation first.
    Which of course requires auto-leveling to function.
    ...and it has to be the build plate you will be using (see tape reference above).

Bottom line, you will see the auto-compensation in your print. Fortunately, you will also hear the auto-compensation while the hotend is traveling.

Same idea as you have with the test print. Just make a big 6" (OD) square. While printing, listen for very quiet click... this is Z adjusting per the auto-level compensation information stuck in the system.
    Count the ticks across the full 6" length. If you have one or two, your pretty darn close (meaning difficult to get any better).
    But if it ticks every inch or less, you can do a lot better.

The process is auto-leveling between attempts at adjusting the two pads. I haven't re-leveled mine since I got it down to one tick in 6".

- - - - - - - - - -

Sorry for the quiet time on new Cube3 development. I've been working an interesting printing project.

Do we have Lego fans here? Considering the only motion I can perpetuate is through Lego Mindstorms (Lego Technics).
    I'm finding that making Lego compatible parts is highly dependent on your material.
    For instance, I can print a PLA part and the axle shafts just slide right through...
    Make the same part out of 3DS ABS, and the fit is near perfect.
    Anyway, I've adapted, literally.

The reason for this post is not about Lego, however.
    I've been hounding eBay for CubeX filament cartridges.
    Obviously I keep an eye on Cube3 price moves too.
    There has been an interesting move in the Cube3 market:
    1) New old stock (NOS) printers are going up into the $300-400 range much of which is allocated to shipping.
    2) A lot of people, or a small group of very committed people are now selling used and new-other printers.
    3) Used printer cost is floating around $100 with a huge shipping bill.
    4) Some new-other sales are reading more like "refurbished" saying just the cartridges were removed. Somehow I doubt that was the only "used" part. These are going for what the bottom was for new printers not 6 months ago.

Bottom line; be careful what you bid on. We've gone past the NOS depletion from warehouses and now we have the dregs lefts.

New printers... what do I need for reliability?
    Lokbuild and a bowden solution along with one of several "chip minders".

I'm going to suggest that these used printers are going to be luck of the draw.
    Be sure to have a strong return policy that won't come out of your pocket.

Good luck!