Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like

My first print failed ... and so it begins : ]

First real print ... well my attempt at one it failed about 8 mins in but at least it worked part of the print.
    All journeys begin with your first failed print ....I'm on my way !
    What I realized was that the Hot End was clicking so After the print failed I did some calibrating through the manual
    interface with repetier by feeding out filament then adjusting the grub screws on the hot end, it took about 10 mins of
    fiddling.
    I actually like the Repetier software I could not get cura to work fully on my windows 8.1, the heat bed would not heat and the hot end would only heat 30 % so tried Repetier and its way better I feel much more to play with and you can see everything
    that's happening with your printer. You can also manually test things on the printer, so a sense of confidence builds with the
    Rapide Lite 200.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Daf, Why did the part fail?

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dianne, are the belts on the bed tight enough? In the video they seem to have some "slop". I'm still waiting for delivery so no experience yet.
    Ian

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    synthius

The print went like angel hair pasta ... the filament had flow problems I think as in it stopped and came out in
    spits and spurts. So I had to stop it when I can I'll take a pic of the piece so you can see.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Zl1aox

Yes the belt is sloppy I didn't get the belt tensioner it was missing so I modified a paperclip and that helped heaps

but its still sloppy, will have to wait for the part from Ethan after Xmas.

so yes you are totally correct.

You should have seen that belt before I pulled it down and tightened it as much as I could, it was slipping badly no way I could print

with it like that.

Post Thanks / Like
    daf,

did you disassemble the extruder to move the wheel downwards as most had to do before printing?

Most extruding problems come from there....

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Belt Tensioner using spring from Clothes Peg

Hmmm... instead of using paper clip as a belt tensioner, why not use the spring from a clothes peg?

The ones on my print bed looks like a clothes peg spring... and you can get a good strong tension and adjust it with a pair of pliers too.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    @daf, I had the same problem, getting fine angel hair pasta even with proper adjustment on the extruder and it no longer clicks but could'nt print anything decent (it was wispy and falls apart).

So even with slowing down the print speed, putting higher temperature on the hot ends, did not help.

I eventually took the nozzle out (had to heat it up a bit and used two pliers), and holding the nozzle in a plier and heating it gently with a small gas burner, I got the temperature high enough to melt a short length of filament which I jammed it and waited for it to melt.

I then waited for it to cool down until it was almost hard, gave it a good yank and out came the rest of the gunk in the nozzle which I found bits of metal (presumably from the extruder gear). I then soak the nozzle in some thinner in a jar for an hour, took it out, clean it up with a q-tip, check that the nozzle hole is clear with a flashlight and put it back..

Now it prints beautifully !

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Lawong
    Thanks for your post I did as you suggested and took the nozzle off and replaced it. first print then jerked forwards on each layer so it was obvious I had to look at the bed belt mod I did and again as you suggested I got a spring from a peg and whacked it in the vice and turned the two ends so it won't fall off the belt and fitted it.... much better than the paperclip .
    there is absolutely no slack in the belt now and have just completed my first full complete print.
    Pic to follow.
    Still using the alcohol wipe down as the bed heats and it sticks every time.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by synthius View Post
    Daf, Why did the part fail?
    It failed because the nozzle was blocked .....