Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cube3 was cheap...but CubeX looks proportionally cheaper!

any1 considering a CubeX Duo or Triple? They look proportionally cheaper than the Cube3.... and u get almost twice the bed size and up to 3 extruders....

http://amzn.to/2j1RpdV

Wdy think?

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Remember the old adage... "fool me once, ..."

3. Likes AdamKempenich liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    ....but we all love our Cube3's right? lol

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    I do! free me from my filament!

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just found and put a bid down on one of these on eBay (please don't bid against me haha!).

It it sounds like if you keep it on a lower version of the firmware you can use a bulk filament, and use a different slicer, the duo and trio are pretty slick! I don't mind the maintenance or mods or anything. If I'm lucky enough to win, I'd be very happy to share my experiences with the Trio.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well cube3 printers are fairly expensive and its cartridges cost compounds this, and as cube 3 printers uses proprietary cartridges which cost you much high then other 3D Printers but it has a advantage that they are compact so can think to go for from ebay may be.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum, Susanne.

It has taken a lot to get the Cube 3 closer to an open source filament machine.
    Couple that with the discount of no support and fire sales, and you get something that is manageable.
    Slicing is still reliant on the Cubify software.

The cartridges replace all your normal consumables as well. But they are overpriced.
    Something the 2D printers have gotten away with far too long.
    I buy good deal on eBay for spare parts.

But open source is still the anomaly in general.
    Even MonoPrice came out with a new closed system that looks insanely close to the Cube3.
    And they pulled away from Cura!

So for the price of entry today ($240 delivered on eBay, new USA), you have everything you need to start upgrading the printer to a reliable, cost-effective 3D printer.
    Now that price-point is a lot more interesting than $1K + $55-pop for carts.

But hold on... now that CubePro has also hit the market at discount... it could get even better.

You are aware that a little hardware hack to change the chips is also out there also(?)

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you tommyDee for welcome.
    These little hardware hacks sometime seems dangerous to me so I do not update myself on this!!!

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can understand that. I did a simple bios update on a very important computer and it never came back to life. These operations can be very delicate.

Fortunately, the Cube3 is mature enough to understand the pro's and con's. The delivery system of the filament in the Cube3 is definitely a weak link.
    That has been solved in several ways. The chip, being active whether your print is successful or not is a huge detraction. With the robustness and longevity of the consumable parts in the cartridge, the cost of ownership takes the machine out of hobbyists' hands. I'd say that not only is the $50 cartridge only worth about $10 in filament, the spare parts are good to last 10x that time. So not only is the cost of ownership the difference in the filament, 5x, but the difference in needing replacement parts, which easily bring that burdened cost to well over 10x for every cartridge you -have- to buy just for the chip.

Updating the F/W on your Cube3 is problematic only in that you have to be patient and it helps greatly to know what to expect. The last step before the system reboots is the most "stressful" and you will consider intervening. Don't! It takes a minute or two for the reboot to happened. But again, I understand reluctance to disable a machine for a single bit out of place. I've seen it happened, so I do understand. Fortunately, we recovered that one.

However, there is a less risky option of just resetting the chips. Much less to loose. There is a free version for the DIY people and an eBay solution for a little more money than I'm willing to give.

Then again, all this effort for a closed system?
    True, this is a closed system and with the help of some great forum people, even the closed print file has been opened for modifications (thanks again swwinterry).
    This really opened up the printer for alternate materials and tuning for specific materials. Not like Cura, but some rudimentary revisions are easy enough. I for one like the fact that I can set up a build plate and with basic knowledge of 3D printing, I can make some fairly successful parts right off the bat. I am counting on the experience of 3DS to know what to do with their slicer. It is a rudimentary slicer in that it just does the same thing over and over. It has no options except the 2x3 matrix presented in the app. Even those are limited. But you have to ask yourself; how often to I want to micro-manage every print's slicing routine? I don't. I just want it to print what I expect it to print. And if I did my homework of how that would turn out, then the simplicity of the systems shines. And the sophistication of the 3DS slicer also becomes evident.

And to add to this, the excellent engineering dedicated to the Cube3. Seriously, it is a well thought out design that meets is requirements in most respects. We have good rails, good venting, highly accurate models without additional calibration, and a nice clean platform. I am very happy that I started 3D printing with the Cube3 even with the frustrations in the process. Without open filament capabilities, this printer would have died the quiet death 3DS hoped it would have. However, due to the efforts of some very smart people, this little printer won't go quietly anywhere!

If I didn't feel this way, I'd have other printers here. Still tempted to look into Monoprice just to play with Cura. So far, that idea looks more like a compromise rather than an upgrade for my 3D printing plan.

As to the price of these printers today, I've been tracking eBay sales for over a year. If you have an entry under $200/USD to your house for a new complete system, you are doing well. There are cheaper printers, but in the end, you will see that this price-point is well within the going rate. Time has passed sufficiently to get the riff-raff on eBay; cartridge thieves; New but used; works great but no power supply... sure! New is new with 2 cartridges and all the bits. Today, in the USA, you can get a Cube3 delivered for $239.99 to your door or to my door, $225 for another auction. The range of pricing I paid for mine was $120-310 (5x) I passed on another that was $121 to my door. All complete and new.

Susanne, what are your 3D printing goals?

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Goals as in not decided. But I can see you have invested a lot into it. I am just in a phase where I want to explore more on 3D printing. 3D printers I have not yet explored much in number But soon I will I think as by gulping all knowledge about this, soon I will also be reaching to some point.