Thanks Thanks:  18
Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1927282930 LastLast
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like

Woo Hoo!

Quote Originally Posted by sunny View Post
    I got it with JackMeoffd's advice. 1. I copied FW2.02 to USB. 2. I have run FW update from CubePro. 3. At 4.5% I removed the USB. 4. I deleted FW2.02 from USB and copied FW2.00 (http://cubify.s3.amazonaws.com/Printers/Cubepro/cubepro V2.00.ar). 5. Rename cubepro V2.00.ar to cubepro V2.02.ar. 6. Insert USB again from CubePro and select Retry. 7. The FW was 2.00. 8. Reinstall FW 2.00.
    Good Job Sunny! Thanks for reporting your results..G70
    Last edited by JackMeoff; 01-09-2018 at 05:00 PM.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    I also got it with the last posting of steps there! I believe I now have the patched firmware installed.
    However, it appears that my filament spools are registering at 0% (even though there's a goodly bit of filament left on there.)
    When I try to print a file, I receive the "Not enough material" alert, and can't proceed. Any ideas?

3D Printer God(dess)
    Post Thanks / Like
    The "patch" doesn't deal with 0% cartridges. But there I a solution for that as well.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyDee View Post
    The "patch" doesn't deal with 0% cartridges. But there I a solution for that as well.
    Oh there IS?
    Do tell!

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like

Look Here

Tomuro's (Member of the forum) ReCube software can change the chip to whatever you want PLA, ABS, Nylon, etc while also changing the usage from zero to 100%. Or, anything in between. I believe info is in Bolson's post "Interesting reading". And how to contact Tom. I have it, works great. G70

3D Printer God(dess)
    Post Thanks / Like

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Guys, so I read every post <almost> and feel confident I could update the software and filament feeding system.
    My question is does this fix most of the printing failure I read in reviews online?
    I understand failure are normal with 3d printers but I read a lot of reviewers that had problem printing larger object, Did using quality filament with these mods fixed the problem for you?
    How do you feel overall about your purchase? Once the filament hack is done are there other major flaws?
    I wasn't looking for this model, I was in the market for something like the Tiertime UP Mini or Flashforge Finder but I came across the 3d system Cube3 and considering I can get this printer for around 300$ and mod it from day 1 it looks very competitive to me.
    Finally what is your go to filament of choice?
    Thanks!

3D Printer God(dess)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Right at this moment, you can probably beat $200 to your door on eBay. These deals cycle until the remaining inventory is exhausted.

This printer is in a nutshell, the culmination of all the other printers put in a nice package. Some things were compromised like the feed systems for the sake of esthetics. Others were what would appear to be done to make it foolproof. That would be the failing cartridges. And of course the chip made the whole system too expensive.

So, the discontinued and unsupported state of this printer accounts for the serious discount available today. The clearing up of the feed path took care of 90% of the failures. We still have some failures due to various reasons, but for the most part, this machine, with updated feed systems are -much- more reliable. New challenges come from non-3DS filaments. They all have some kind of properties that varies from the intended materials.

The next issue came with the build plate and sticking parts. ABS just sucks rocks without a heated bed. They went for it anyway. I run 99% PLA. I will do ABS using techniques gleaned from all the regular sources. The lack of a heated bed is this printer's only real miss.

LokBuild seems to solve the build plate issues. The Cube Glue is still a real thing for some filaments, but 3DS and others do love to stick to LokBuild. Also blue tape and I suspect Kapton tape are also part of the accessory kit to work almost any 3D printer.

You do get a non-lead-screw z-axis... meaning you get Z on two quality bearings that keeps things square and solid. You do get a 6" cube build volume. You do get 2 extruders. You do get auto-leveling.

What you don't get, and this is the biggest hurdle, you don't generic BFB format printing. You get a version of this with 3rd party help, and even so, it is limited. This removed the ability to use advanced software like Simplify3D.

If you are a tinkerer and have the patience to make your own profiles and are willing to modify a more generic printer, it is probably more fulfilling in the long run. If you just want to start printing without all the trial and error of getting there, the Cube 3 will probably fit the bill. I fall into this ladder category. I also have 4 of these since they were cheap.

9. Thanks emili thanked for this post
    Likes emili liked this post
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like

Couldn't agree more

Nice job of summing up the Cube there Tom.

On another forum, Openbuilds.com, user Oderbang was successful in ripping the guts out of a Cube and converting it to a RepRap controlled 3D printer.
    After 2+ years and 3 printers of F'ing around with these, I am going to capitulate and surrender, I think he had the right idea....Now where did I put that Mega 2560?

G70
    Last edited by JackMeoff; 01-10-2018 at 05:56 PM.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for this extensive response TommyDee. i'll give it a try and order it.

What is your preferred PLA filament for this printer?