Thanks Thanks:  27
Likes Likes:  14
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 35 of 38 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you. My setup was done using MajorOCD hub from Thingiverse. I am using per the instructions, PTFE tubing and 5mm Male Thread 4mm/0.16 Push to Connect PC4-M5 For PTFE Tube 3D Printer Connector. If I load original filament, I comes out okay and prints are great. But if I use Generic or WYXworks filament, they come out really bad. I was thinking it was that particular filament brand.

3D Printer God(dess)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, had a problem with their filament too. Mine was silver and it was very hard. It required me to modify one of my gear drivers to allow a little more space (v-groove cut into the gear).

Hard filament with the hub mods will "click" when trying to feed which means it is stripping the filament at the driver. This means less pressure and thin prints.

Everything else you got is fine. If the stock filament is running good, you are looking for filament that has similar properties. Filament that have a grainy feel to them are often also problematic. Some glow-in-the-dark stuff comes to mind.

We have a filament thread here in the Cube3 forum. Personally I'm settling on two... PrintRBot and 3D Solutech. 3D Solutech is as close to 3DS filament that I've found yet and the PrintRBot is a little more 'structural'. But so far, these are two I can recommend in PLA.

You might also like that 3D Solutech sells pen packs on Amazon. 12 color in PLA or ABS. And I can tell you that, other than ABS Gold, I really like this ABS. And it is the only ABS I've run that do like. Even the 3DS ABS Orange that I have has become junk. A long time ago I had a 3DS White ABS. It worked well.

- - - - - - - - - -

...also, just for S&G...

Check that the hole in your PC4-M5 fittings have a sufficient hole. I've had a few with a hole smaller than 2mm. Just drill it out if the size is on the small side. Remember that the filament has to fit through the hole -after- it has been deformed during pullback operations during the print.

#2; check that your 4mm tubing is really has sufficient ID. Take the filament that has already been run through the driver, maybe 2 feet. Now manually push that through your tubing. Does it go through freely? There should be very little to no resistance when you do this. If it hangs up, the tube ID is too small. I've tested tubing from a lot of suppliers. I can only get what is "optimum" from a specific supplier in China. And he likes to deliver it in a tightly would ball. Which of course can be corrected, just a bit annoying.

3. Thanks mercymar thanked for this post
    Likes mercymar liked this post
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello. I got my brand new Cube 3 delivered today. Is there any particular firmware version and patch I should get to be flashed into it?
    I already have both sides FTF hubs finished and ready to go. Thank you.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    @mercymar - If you'll read thru the early part of this thread, it will explain how to get the firmware with the 'stop updating the cartridge chip' patch - or how to patch the stock firmware.

6. Thanks mercymar thanked for this post
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello. Has anybody tried the MakeShapper brand filament in the Cube 3? MakeShapper is selling compatible filament for the cube pro. I was wondering if it is compatible with the Cube 3.
    Last edited by mercymar; 04-11-2018 at 04:02 AM.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    No but since it is fairly local to me, will be giving them a shot!

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello. Is all Cubify filament the same? I saw in Ebay filament for the cube 2 for cheap. Does it work with the Cube 3? Also I found that MakeShapper is manufacturing filament cartridges for Cube x and cube pro I wonder if that filament or any other spool filament they sell will be compatible with the Cube 3.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    In my opinion with the few cartridges of cube 3 Ive run, its crap. Its brittle, jams easy, ands its old, seeing the don't make the 2 or 3 anymore. Part of why I am guessing the hack was started, that and the price of the cartridges. Do the hack, print a few nozzles and drive mechanism holders and get better filament.

3D Printer God(dess)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh but Todd... there is one aspect of 3DSystems filament that is hard to come by; opacity! That is something that gives your prints definition. It took me a long time to see that 3D Solutech is the only close second I've found yet.

However, Mercy Mercy... seriously? You found the source for 3D Systems filament! That I will have to try!

As to your questions, yes, I have often thought of just buying Cube 2 carts from eBay just for the filament. But know that the amount of filament is barely a pound in the cart for Cube 2. Cube|Pro will be more but they don't come cheap.

3D Systems old filament does tend to run thinner. Maybe on the order of 2 year old material. I suspect that making the filament so wonderfully opaque also adds some detrimental effects from moisture and age. But in general, I'd buy it if I can get it fresh.

And I will put my disclaimer in here so certain elements here understand -THIS IS MY EXPERIENCE AND IT IS NOT SIMPLY CRAP I MADE UP!

12. Likes mercymar liked this post
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    I went buy your suggestion a few days ago. And I ordered PLA and ABS from Solutech. As per Makeshaper indeed they have cartridges for the other two printers, but not for the Cube 3. I wonder if their filament might be good for the Cube 3. I wrote to them this morning. They replied to my question, in a matter of minutes. They don’t sell anything for the Cube 3. Anyway, I am going to order a spool, to test it.

- - - - - - - - - -

Makeshaper contact info. Yes, they might be the source.

Erica Edwards
    | Sales Manager

3010 Lee Avenue, Sanford, NC 27331
    Phone (919)776-6925

ericae@scc-inc.com
    Erica.Edwards@makeshaper.com
    makeshaper.com

- - - - - - - - - -

Check Makeshaper website. Prices are less than half that prices in Amazon. And for my untrained eye, colors are similar to the ones we get for the Cube3 originals. Opacity might be similar. I am ordering a small spool to test it.