Thanks Thanks:  22
Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Time to update first post, perhaps with an index style for every slicer you print with?

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok so I have a couple of issues which I'm thinking it must be because of the Inland filament I am using.

First, when it does the initial extrusion to prime the print head, it wants to stick to the print head. The routine included in your profile to wipe the nozzle just moves it around and makes it stick even worse to the print head. It just globs it up. I tried commenting out the routine to see if it would help. It now drags the filament out onto the print plate. LOL I tried increasing the first layer temp to 230c and didn't make any difference. Also it extrudes a lot more filament than the Cube Print software does.

The second issue is it not wanting to stick to the print plate. After the first layer (it kinda sticks but screws up the print), it prints fine. In other words it sticks just fine to itself. I tried 2 things with no change. I increased first layer temp ^. I slowed down 1st layer max speed to 10.

Is there some other settings I should be looking at or should I just try bumping up the first layer temp some more? I can't imagine it needing to print slower since it is much slower than the Cube Print software does.

Just to make sure, I sliced the same model with the Cube Print software and it printed just fine.

3D Printer God(dess)
    Post Thanks / Like
    That little purge routine it goes through is interesting. It creeps up on actually extruding filament.

Dragging filament turds onto the build plate is quite normal.
    My little white printer folds over the red rubber flaps and it just doesn't act nicely.
    That is what made the mess on the 2-color print I did yesterday.

I also suspect that the first layer has extra material being spewed.
    And I do see my internal temp up at around 250*C for PLA which is likely higher than the filament actually sees.
    I've also seen it drop to around 215*C during the prints.

Monitor the actual printer temps during the normal cube3 print process.
    That might give you hint at the profile your printer is using.

Remember the recommended gap is around 0.23mm.
    Last edited by TommyDee; 02-10-2017 at 07:05 AM.

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaloDon View Post
    Ok so I have a couple of issues which I'm thinking it must be because of the Inland filament I am using.

First, when it does the initial extrusion to prime the print head, it wants to stick to the print head. The routine included in your profile to wipe the nozzle just moves it around and makes it stick even worse to the print head. It just globs it up. I tried commenting out the routine to see if it would help. It now drags the filament out onto the print plate. LOL I tried increasing the first layer temp to 230c and didn't make any difference. Also it extrudes a lot more filament than the Cube Print software does.

The second issue is it not wanting to stick to the print plate. After the first layer (it kinda sticks but screws up the print), it prints fine. In other words it sticks just fine to itself. I tried 2 things with no change. I increased first layer temp ^. I slowed down 1st layer max speed to 10.

Is there some other settings I should be looking at or should I just try bumping up the first layer temp some more? I can't imagine it needing to print slower since it is much slower than the Cube Print software does.

Just to make sure, I sliced the same model with the Cube Print software and it printed just fine.
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtMbZIO7-msPgq1ZRFsQ5ubYEwVxDA

Give these a try. The first layer was printing at .35mm, which is too high. cube print does the first layer at 0.25mm and the rest of the layers at 0.1925 (192.5 microns), yeah, it says 200microns in cube print but prints a little bit smaller. I matched these settings in kisslicer. I tried taking out the prime but kisslicer only does one line of a skirt which might not be enough to prime. Simplify3d and cura let me chose how many lines to print for a skirt, and it seems to be a better way to prime than how the cube does it.

20170209_182847.jpg

Here's a print I did with these settings. It had no issues with first layer adherence. I do use cube glue.

Cube print does the first layer at 235C and the rest of the print at 210, that's what I have set in the profile.
    Last edited by Mythandar; 02-10-2017 at 04:59 AM.

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Still doesn't work well. I think it is because of the Inland filament I am using.

How well does Cura work? I've been meaning to try it. Do you have settings for it?

I also want to try Slic3r. I ordered an Original Prusa i3 MK2 and it comes with it. Have you tried Slic3r with the Cube 3?

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaloDon View Post
    Still doesn't work well. I think it is because of the Inland filament I am using.

How well does Cura work? I've been meaning to try it. Do you have settings for it?

I also want to try Slic3r. I ordered an Original Prusa i3 MK2 and it comes with it. Have you tried Slic3r with the Cube 3?
    I have an Original Prusa i3 MK2 coming also, I currently have a geeetech prusa i3 pro b that is doing some good prints.

What do you use on your build plate to help it adhere?

slicer doesn't output bfb formatted files, so we cant use slicer. I've done a test print using cura 15.4.6 (anything newer and it wont output bfb files), it didn't look very good so more tweaking of settings, and there's a few extra steps to get it's bfb file looking how it needs to for the cube to consider it a valid file.

Tomorrow or saturday I should have the time to go through cura a little more to see what can be done, and I'll update the main post with cura and hopefully some pictures.

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythandar View Post
    What do you use on your build plate to help it adhere?
    I use glue stick, which works perfect when slicing with Cube Print.

I got it to stop dragging turds onto the print plate by adding a 3 second delay after the first purge (it continues extruding about 2 seconds after the motor stops). I also got it to stick to the print plate, however the initial ring (priming ring or whatever) does not stick at first and gets stuck to the print head. This messes up the main object and buggers up the print head.

Ring.JPGHead.JPG

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can try changing the flow tweak setting in the material tab. Bumping it up a little bit might help with adhesion. I did some comparisons in the numbers against a bfb from cube print, and a setting of 0.045 is closer to what cube print puts out. Give that a try.

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythandar View Post
    You can try changing the flow tweak setting in the material tab. Bumping it up a little bit might help with adhesion. I did some comparisons in the numbers against a bfb from cube print, and a setting of 0.045 is closer to what cube print puts out. Give that a try.
    I've tried everything from 0.04 to 0.1 - no luck.
    Last edited by MegaloDon; 02-11-2017 at 08:06 AM.

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yay!! I found the answer!!!

Short story: In the Printer settings, under the Hardware tab, set Z Offset to -0.2

Long story:
    I tried with original 3DS filament and glue stick and got the same bad results.
    I tried again using the original Cube Glue and it worked.
    I tried with my Inland filament and original Cube Glue and it worked.
    So why would it work with 3DS filament and glue stick with the Cube Print software and not with KisSlicer? Answer: It was too high on the print bed.
    So I adjusted the Z Offset and used glue stick and it works the same with both 3DS filament and Inland filament.
    You might say "why not just use Cube Glue?"
    The answer is glue stick is a lot cheaper, is easier to apply, it comes off the print plate a lot easier, and is reusable many times.
    3DS was trying to overcompensate with their Cube Glue. They wanted to make sure that your project didn't come off the plate. But with the right print settings, it's not necessary.
    Last edited by MegaloDon; 02-11-2017 at 08:16 AM.