Thanks Thanks:  23
Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast
    Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tprothma View Post
    Are you using 70um only in Cube print app, and unable to achieve good results with 70um using S3D?
    Which supports are you referring to as hard to remove Cube print app?

Tim
    Yes, w S3D the print displays more artifacts and layer lines...but I have not had time to mess with the S3D settings more.

Yes, CubePrint supports are terrible at best. I switched to using Meshmixer Supports and no S3D support. The ideal would be MeshMixer supports, sliced in S3D for fine tuning and additional options. Only if it equals or exceeds CubePrint quality at 70um. Printing at smaller the 70um would be great for miniatures.

In general the profiles seem to work although I need to confirm with dual printing (both cartridges at the same time).
    Also as a side note Stock Cube PLA likes to be printed at 260C. I found this out when unable to get my prints to stick to gaffers tape.

Tim
    Is that normal, maybe I am missing something, it seems high? If using S3D I often use a higher temp for the first layer and then lower temps 2+ layers.

Cheers

John

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    M104 commands are for heating the extruder. Cube print app regardless of what side you apply the material from is going to use this command
    M104 S260 P1
    M104 S260 P1

I think it should read something like
    M104 S260 P0 ; This is the left extruder
    M104 S260 P1 ; This is the right extruder

Also as a side note Stock Cube PLA likes to be printed at 260C. I found this out when unable to get my prints to stick to gaffers tape.
    M104 is for the left extruder and M204 is for the the right one.
    http://www.print3dforum.com/showthre...de)-for-Cube-3
    Also PLA prints at 210C from the Cube Print app. The initial purge is higher, but I'll have to check that when I get home. I know it is not 260C. ABS prints at 260C.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've been through all 26 pages but I must have missed something, I'm trying to get Cura to work with my cube 3. I've downloaded the Cura-Cube3-fix, Cube3-BFB-Fix-V2, and the cube-encoder. I loaded the profile from the Cura-Cube3-fix and sliced a model, after that I fix it with the Cube3-BFB-Fix-V2 and then re encode it with the cube3-encoder 32 bit. this is the right order correct? and is there a way to switch the side of the printer that is used? I'm running PLA on the right side (if you are looking at the printer from the front) I am using a modified cartridge and cannot switch it to the other side. Have i missed something here?

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi MegaloDon, thanks for clarification on left vs right extruder. Actually PLA is printing at 235C first layer, then 210C for the following layer. 260C was for ABS, I was in a rush and still trying to figure out what's going on and didn't double check.

Now looking at this in the light of M104=left and M204=right, it looks like it's trying to control both extruders even the one not being used.
    So yes, this does explain my T12 error with only 1 cartridge installed.
    I still think it's a flaw in the algorithm because it's closed loop control to the setpoint.
    However as a practical matter it may make sense to have the extruders always behave the same so 1 set of PID parameters always just works.

Anyway, I set the print off this morning and haven't checked it yet. I will say the first layer of PLA looked nice at 260C...

I will add this code to all of my prints at the end ...
    G4 P300000 ; wait 5 minutes
    M107 ; turn off fan

Hi TommyDee, I didn't know the print apps had feedback. Since I've never gotten WiFi working and cannot print from 3D Builder, I wouldn't know. Can you see its progress as a real time slice. That would be awesome. I suspect they are guessing the filament temperature through some appropriate offset.

Thanks everyone!
    Tim

3D Printer God(dess)
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Cubify Apps get stats from the Wifi connected Cube 3. It knows when it is printing and any device can see it with the app. Windows and Mac applications can also setup print plates and all that, but the printer's status is broadcast all over the place. Have you looked on the 3D Systems Cube 3 downloads and info site?

- - - - - - - - - -

https://www.3dsystems.com/shop/support/cube/downloads

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi TommyDee, the ability for the app to report temperature is the only reason I see for getting the cube on wifi. I finally figured out WPS on my router (android).

MegaloDon, please tell me how to turn off the part cooling fan.

Here's what I'm doing at the end of a print, but I can't turn off that blasted part fan

M103 ;Turn off extruders
    M104 S25 P1 ;Left extruder set to 25C
    M204 S25 P1 ;right extruder set to 25C
    M107 ;Turn off extruder fans

Now that I understand more about the code, it looks like it is warming to 260C for the purge, but first layer at 235, and 210 for next layers. The other slicers are setting both extruders even if only 1 is used in the print, as is the cube app if you are printing on an offline printer. IF you are printing directly to a printer through wifi, it will not heat both extruders. So I finally figured out why I was getting the T12 error as I was printing from USB and the SW was assuming filament was loaded in an extruder that was not being used and failed while trying to purge.

Thanks,
    Tim

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    MegaloDon, please tell me how to turn off the part cooling fan.

Here's what I'm doing at the end of a print, but I can't turn off that blasted part fan

M103 ;Turn off extruders
    M104 S25 P1 ;Left extruder set to 25C
    M204 S25 P1 ;right extruder set to 25C
    M107 ;Turn off extruder fans

Now that I understand more about the code, it looks like it is warming to 260C for the purge, but first layer at 235, and 210 for next layers. The other slicers are setting both extruders even if only 1 is used in the print, as is the cube app if you are printing on an offline printer. IF you are printing directly to a printer through wifi, it will not heat both extruders. So I finally figured out why I was getting the T12 error as I was printing from USB and the SW was assuming filament was loaded in an extruder that was not being used and failed while trying to purge.

Thanks,
    Tim
    Unfortunately, I have never experimented with turning any fans off. The M107 command does not say which fan(s) it turns off.

M103 is retract. To turn off the extruders (temperature), you would use "M104 S0" for the left extruder and "M204 S0" for the right.

Capture.JPG

This is a snippet from the beginning of a PLA print.

Line 40 preheats the left print head to 155C while it is in the middle.
    Line 41 moves the print head to the waste bin.
    Line 42 heats the left print head to 225C.
    Line 43 pauses for 15 seconds.
    Line 44 primes (purges) the left print head. P is the amount. S is the speed.
    Line 57 heats the left print head to 235C for the first layer.
    Additional layers are set to 210C.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi MegaloDon,
    I'll keep looking around for the fan off command. As I see it, it is monitored, thus it must be controllable.

As you suggest the extruder has temperature control and the motor control. For temperature control I use M104 S25 P1 followed by M104 S20 (which doesn't wait for setpoint to be reached), and likewise for the right side.

For the motor, M103
    Here is my reference :

http://reprap.org/wiki/G-code#M103:_Turn_all_extruders_off.2C_Extruder_Retr action
    In Teacup firmware: If a DC extruder is present, turn that off. Else, retract the filament in the hope to prevent nozzle drooling. Complement to M101.
    In BFB/RapMan firmware: Turn extruder off.
    In RepRapFirmware: retract filament. The length and speed are set by the M207 command. RepRapFirmware supports this command for compatibility with Simplify3D.
    in other firmwares: Deprecated. Regarding filament retraction, see G10, G11, M207, M208, M227, M228, M229.

My thoughts are that they would use M227/M228 commands which give specific control over retraction as I see those commands in our code.
    And the docs say it's deprecated regarding extraction and to see M227 as one of the more recent control methods.
    Also since it's M103 without any accompanying 207 command (which would set retraction speed/amount) it must be just to shut off the extruder.
    What do you think???

I really wish they would just publish their code. I contacted them and they mentioned even turning off the fan was proprietary and that it was hard coded, but I suspect not.
    I know 1 way to shut the fan off if I really get frustrated with the noise.

Thanks,
    Tim
    Last edited by tprothma; 02-01-2018 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Clarification

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi MegaloDon,
    I'll keep looking around for the fan off command. As I see it, it is monitored, thus it must be controllable.

As you suggest the extruder has temperature control and the motor control. For temperature control I use M104 S25 P1 followed by M104 S20 (which doesn't wait for setpoint to be reached), and likewise for the right side.

For the motor, M103
    Here is my reference :

http://reprap.org/wiki/G-code#M103:_Turn_all_extruders_off.2C_Extruder_Retr action
    In Teacup firmware: If a DC extruder is present, turn that off. Else, retract the filament in the hope to prevent nozzle drooling. Complement to M101.
    In BFB/RapMan firmware: Turn extruder off.
    In RepRapFirmware: retract filament. The length and speed are set by the M207 command. RepRapFirmware supports this command for compatibility with Simplify3D.
    in other firmwares: Deprecated. Regarding filament retraction, see G10, G11, M207, M208, M227, M228, M229.

My thoughts are that they would use M227/M228 commands which give specific control over retraction as I see those commands in our code.
    And the docs say it's deprecated regarding extraction and to see M227 as one of the more recent control methods.
    Also since it's M103 without any accompanying 207 command (which would set retraction speed/amount) it must be just to shut off the extruder.
    What do you think???

I really wish they would just publish their code. I contacted them and they mentioned even turning off the fan was proprietary and that it was hard coded, but I suspect not.
    I know 1 way to shut the fan off if I really get frustrated with the noise.

Thanks,
    Tim
    First you have to understand that BFB is very different from GCode. The reprap wiki only has some references that apply to BFB. For example, G1 is movement for both BFB and GCode but the speed and extrusion are done differently.

In the following BFB lines:
    M108 S29.0
    G1 X2.216 Y-1.850 Z0.2500 F1200.0

M108 sets the extrusion speed. (To turn off extrusion, use "M108 S0")
    At the end of the G1 line, F sets the movement speed of the print head.

A GCode example:
    G1 F900
    G1 X124.910 Y105.400 E0.00482

G1 Fxxx sets the feed rate.
    The next line has the coordinates followed by the amount to extrude between the starting point and ending point (E).
    The Z coordinate is not required if it is not changing.

Retraction is also different from GCode.

First you set the amount of retraction with M227:
    M227 P450 S450 G450 F600

P is prime, S is suck, and I believe G and F are the speed respectively. P and S should always match, otherwise you will get too much or not enough at the beginning of retraction undo (prime). M227 only sets the retraction. It does not perform it.

M103 performs retraction (suck) based on the M227 settings.
    M101 undoes retraction (prime) based on the M227 settings.

As far as them publishing their code, that's never going to happen. 3D Systems bought the rights to BFB, so they own it now. They removed all references so it is pretty much impossible to find info on it. They made it their proprietary code for their printers and they don't want anyone tinkering with it. That's why I started this thread >>> http://www.print3dforum.com/showthre...de)-for-Cube-3

I was hoping that as we learned more about it, we could update it and have a good reference. Not a lot has been added thus far.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    MegaloDon,
    I'm with you...

I propose this, let's take some simple parts and set up prints in the Cube App using different conditions (left only, right only, dual print), ignore everything in the middle related to the part and make sure we understand the beginning and end. Then we can repeat a nice print with the proper beginning and closure procedures and it's independent of whatever slicer we choose.

We can annotate each line we control with ; after the command in the same line such as this...
    M??? ;Do something and we're explicit about what line's being added
    Also # can be used to start comment lines between sections
    I've added #Vector T22 to the layer change script which also helps (but you can look at the Z on the moves also to figure out layers)

Basically the settings files Mythandar posted are fairly good, but I think some things are missing....
    For instance single extruder is missing a home operation at the end and I've had a print get stuck on the printhead.

I'm really happy with the prints I've made with the alternative slicer and I have no intention of going back to the cube app due to some of the limitations with the support and visualization capabilities we within other slicers.

So let's shift that discussion to the bfb thread to decipher the different program flows, then use this thread for implementation in various slicers.

Free the Code!

Tim