Thanks Thanks:  23
Likes Likes:  12
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
    3D Printer God(dess)
    Post Thanks / Like
    You might have that backwards, Mythandar.

The blob comes from a slight hesitation before retraction.
    And it doesn't explain why 3D Builder doesn't have the problem.
    Something in the Cube SW v4.03 there is a hesitation that they eliminated in their 3D Builder driver.

This is a slicer problem, not a Qube FW problem.
    I get perfect Marvin loops, and I get better chess pieces out of 3D Builder.

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythandar View Post
    One thing we may never resolve is how it leaves little blobs where it does a prime after a retraction. It's because with BFB, it has to be stationary when it's doing either the retraction, or it's prime. It's just a limitation of how BFB works.
    See here - http://www.print3dforum.com/showthre...ll=1#post40999

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting Don. I'm enjoying my lokbuild also, I never thought to increase the z-gap that much, I'll give it a try. I'm so used to setting it up how we had to before with the cube glue.

Tried out 3dbuilder for the first time. Interesting how they integrate 3d printing into windows. The retractions behaved the same as they do with cube print, it retracts, moves, primes, then starts moving again. It can't retract or prime while it's moving, that's a limitation of how BFB code works. I think cube print is retracting/priming more filament (distance wise) than 3dbuilder is, it all happens so fast but it spent less time doing either the retract/prime. It could even be that they increased the speed of the prime/retract. It's hard to tell without getting my hands on the bfb code it generates.

It's all just speculation for now on my part.

3D Printer God(dess)
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm still finding little clues to how to save the file for viewing, but no luck yet.
    The driver does have security permissions available.
    But every time I disconnect a running print, the driver hoses itself (It looses that registry assignment).
    Reinstall the SDK and off we go again.

I ran a 9 hour print in PLA last night from 3D Builder. PLA doesn't seem to play differently in 3D Builder as someone already mentioned before.
    But with ABS, it is night and day; and there doesn't seem to be a 70um resolution for ABS.

The retract on the Cubify v4.03 S/W is extremely fast and about 1/2" (13mm) at the cartridge bulkhead.
    But that only means about 1/8" (3mm) of retraction at the head if that much.
    There is a lot of expansion in the feeder tube when the filament is under pressure.
    So they are removing the "strain" completely with their retract, it has to be done as fast as possible to be effective.
    How the melt in the nozzle react is also a loose cannon; it can get stuck and stretch the melt area, draw air in the nozzle, or simply remain at a relaxed state and only the feeder line energy is released. Balancing this with your ultimate solution feeder system paired with the de-string function may be more critical than we give it credit for.

An easy way to see this is to use a slow motion setting on a decent digital camera. If you can capture 240 frames per second, you can probably hone in on the retract distance at either end and the rate.

I've become keenly aware of this built-in strain relief feature in how the stock tubing extends in length significantly.
    With 4mm tubing, this effect is changed significantly, and the result is equally different.
    So much so that a specific train-relief could be put in a 4mm to improve this function.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've tried Cura 2.5, it's OK. All settings in 1.5 can be used in 2.5 and 2.5 has much more options. First create a new printer BFB type, then slice and save gcode file. This gcode file is actually bfb format. Just rename it to .bfb, and the other steps are the same. But no matter 1.5 and 2.5, I don't have great print result, are there any tricks and guides to adjust the options to make it better?

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nuustt View Post
    I've tried Cura 2.5, it's OK. All settings in 1.5 can be used in 2.5 and 2.5 has much more options. First create a new printer BFB type, then slice and save gcode file. This gcode file is actually bfb format. Just rename it to .bfb, and the other steps are the same. But no matter 1.5 and 2.5, I don't have great print result, are there any tricks and guides to adjust the options to make it better?
    If you turn retraction off completely then with Cura 1.5 we got better prints. At the downside of not having any retraction. It has sooo many retraction commands that it was messing up the print.

Over all, Cura just wasn't working out well from my testing and wasn't worth the effort for me. I use simplify3d.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    So how many mm of retraction would I use in Kisslicer for getting no blobs of the filament in my prints. Like the perfect number if anyone knows.

3D Printer God(dess)
    Post Thanks / Like
    About 12mm fast. It will only stretch the melt though. It doesn't make a good pump. The filament will still ooze.

Much of the problem is the unexplained pause at the stop/start point. That is why 3D Builder and ABS is working so well.
    I have a Benchy that is near perfect from 3D Builder and Cubify can't touch it. The PLA code is exactly the same between the two.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    When using cube-utils and codex I am getting a "Print File Protected" error. I checked the headers and tried adjusting them for FW 2.0.

- - - - - - - - - -

OK, I think I figured out the problem. Looks like Cubify may have updated/changed the password for encoding the files. Because when i decoded using Codex i just got jibberish.

Post Thanks / Like
    So...do we have a winners list of S3D profiles in the first post?

I think we had evolution since 1st April (last updated post date)?

Also whats the difference between

Tested: (setup for pla only)
    simplify3d 1 extruder (left extruder only) : https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtMbZIO7-msPgrVo261uCCYwfrEaLQ

and

Untested:

Simplify3d 1 Extruder (left extruder - PLA): https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtMbZIO7-msPgrdmSnywDY_HjBMgeQ

?

11. Likes zugok liked this post