Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  16
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Filament Review

3D Printer God(dess)
    Post Thanks / Like
    I see and understand. I'd love to have a handle on all the basic feed systems in the BFB. A simple reduce motion speed (%); reduce feed speed(%); and increase temperature (%) would go a long way to managing harder filaments. The eSun filament I used was great, except it was brittle and skipped a lot in the drivers. So a little less pressure and a little more flow from higher temperatures and slowing the table should result in some better fill properties.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Liking the MG Chemicals Wood Filament. This was my first attempt at staining it and thought it came out pretty well. I'm using kisslicer and still dialing in settings, but it prints using my standard pla settings. My next project is a 3D Terrain Puzzle using this filament.

3. Likes TommyDee, bolsoncerrado liked this post
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    After following TommyDee
    recommendation, I ordered Solutech filament. It works good with my Cube 3, even better than the original filament.
    I am using Lokbuild on my building plate and it adheres properly and removing the print is easier than with the original filament, without any damage to the Lokbuild.
    IMG_2273.jpgIMG_2274.jpgThe one in red is the 3DS filament.
    Thank you TommyDee
    for the great advise.

My order from MakeShaper will arrive tomorrow (UPS two day-Free) I will post samples.

Also, I will test for the first time the Infinity Rinse Away filament tomorrow.

I started with a used and pretty banged up Cube 3, which was my learning machine. I gave that one away to a coworker, for him to learn about 3D printing. Now I am using a brand new that I got for cheap on ebay.
    Thanks again for teh great advise.

Great little printer

5. Thanks TommyDee thanked for this post
    3D Printer God(dess)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Which 3D Solutech color is that? Very nice definition! Way cool sharing your printer. Kudos!

Looking forward to what you think of the infinity rinse material.
    And thanks for reminding me... I can now look to see what the Cube 3 app does differently for this material.
    Last edited by TommyDee; 04-12-2018 at 09:21 PM.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    I must be really lucky. After all the horror stories about the stock filament being old at this point (true as the blue I got off amazon was marked feb 2017), I have used almost half the cart printing the FTF parts with not one mishap. It seems to work great and the tubing is fine. I try to leave it parked as far away from the cartridge as possible, as it seems to put alot of stress on where the tube connects to the cart if its parked when it seems to want to be (all the way left). Really wont miss paying 50-60 for these things though.

Amazon - Stock Blue Cartridge (marked 2017 Feb.) - 0 issues, good prints (50% used)

3D Printer God(dess)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good you have good luck with the cartridge. If they work and they were made right, no issues.
    Old filament is a big problem in older printer being sold as clearance can be as old a 3 years.
    Many of those cartridges were poorly made.
    A lot of people blamed the filament like I did only to find a year later that the filament was good enough (not perfect) and ran without issues with a replacement hub.
    That is to say that an old filament (neon green and white PLA) that came with the printer was already 2 years old from 3D Systems stock (warrantee replacement).
    The filament was in the laundry room in the open for at least 6 months more... I want to say a year, but I can't swear to that.
    Once Don started this filament hub stuff, I created one and ended trying that saved filament (it was slated for the weed whacker).
    Sure enough, the filament printed some really nice parts and I got to use every inch of nearly 3 year old filament.
    It is then when I changed my conviction on "all cartridges are salvageable" to realizing that 1/2 of them were made with a serious manufacturing flaw.

Don't get me wrong, the old filament would still snap at odd locations. If it were in a stock cartridge it would tear up the stock tubing in the caterpillar tracks.
    When you let the cartridge sit, any bent filament would possibly just break overnight without any help.
    That is why the new robust hub systems developed since are so useful... you can get at stuff!

Do learn quickly that the pneumatic fitting will tear up your 4mm tubing if the tube rotates in the fitting.
    This causes a cascade effect in that the tube gets stuck in the fitting.
    Ripping the tube out by force could, and likely will, brake a little gripper-washer.
    Always remove the tube from the hot-end before twisting the hot-end out of its socket.
    Always be aware of the "rasping" on the hub end when you feed new filament.

- - - - - - - - - -

...and welcome to the forum.

9. Thanks anadeau81 thanked for this post
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't even have the new Teflon tubing installed yet. But thank you I'll put a reminder "post it" on the printer when I hit that point. . I was referring to the weird molded Teflon originals. The two used carts that came with it, the stock tubes are mangled. Glad to be here. should be fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Those prints look really amazing! congratz!

3D Printer God(dess)
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've been updating the 3D Solutech review but nothing shows up in "modified" so if you are thinking of 3D Solutech ABS, you might review the entries there.

Today I ordered their clear ABS as this was the most successful material in the Fun Pack they sent me for doing a review of their filament on Amazon. What I find odd is that their Amazon presence is dwindling where their stock in-house appears to be intact. I'll have to find out if they are dumping their older stock onto Amazon or if they are distancing themselves from the retailer.

I've only had limited exposure to ABS. The white I purchased a long time ago from 3DS was the only ABS that has worked well for me so far. The Inland ABS was horrible; the 3DS orange was dry, weak, and thin. Of the 12 3D Solutech ABS colors, the darker the color, the more brittle the material. Even the black was a surprising fail. Gold appears to be problematic for many suppliers. In this case, it is a rude mustard color. I have yet to find a real gold color. Also the failure on blue was quite surprising.

I am still impressed with their PLA. I also do like their Fun Pack. But when only a limited percentage of the provided ABS filament is functional, the price at $12.99/USD may be a bit high.

I'll let you know how the 1kg of clear ABS works out.

ref: http://www.print3dforum.com/showthre...ll=1#post42289

- - - - - - - - - -

One more comment on 3D Solutech... Don't expect quality communications with the company.

Even with 2 requests for expected shipment or delivery, I got nothing!
    Today my order arrived; clear ABS.

This order was placed directly with 3D Solutech. The website said nothing about it being out of stock, but Amazon did.
    Funny thing is, my order came in an Amazon box!

So the fact that I like their filament is one factor; but in light of a lack of an engaged customer support staff, I have to downgrade my enthusiasm and continue looking for filament that is highly opaque.
    Last edited by TommyDee; 05-09-2018 at 06:30 PM.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like

MakeShaper ABS Black

https://www.makeshaper.com/product/b...5-mm-filament/

I've had good results with this filament. Reasonable cost.
    Recommended temperature on the label is 210-245.
    It seems to like to print at 240C -- I select ABS in CubePrint, then edit the temperatures to purge at 245, then print at 240. (FWIW, I use Notepad++).

ABS-Cube.jpg

Kind of hard to see details in black!

It does curl on any wide flat kind of print - I only have the stock print pad, and use CubeGlue. More vertical things, such as TD's nozzle and bulkhead parts do just fine.
    Last edited by JohnTee; 06-05-2018 at 04:09 PM.