Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Filament Review

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    I figured the Spray paint would be a bad idea, particularly since we don't have a hot end replacement under $50 (buying a new cart).

I was just curious about peoples experience with the polysmooth. Or any other PLA.

I've had really bad luck removing Cube Supports from my prints, specifically if I print a Action Hero with the arms out, or the mouth open. The Cube supports really fuse to the print (for obvious reasons) and when I to remove them, I usually ruin the print. I assuming that I should try to use MeshMixer to generate supports that I can print on the Cube. I've never done this, I could use a good YouTube Tutorial if anyone can point me to something they like. Or Maybe Try a PVA Filament?

Since I've done the Cart hack, i'm much happier with the printer. I'm just lurking around here, trying to soak up as much info as everyone is putting out there.
    Thanks guys!

3D Printer God(dess)
    Post Thanks / Like
    MeshMixer is the answer for supports if you don't create them as part of the model.
    They have a lot of settings and I am finding more and more you can do to edit the supports that MeshMixer adds.
    I haven't done any MM tutorial searches or forum inquiries. Just get your feet wet and go.

I have the advantage of creating models with CAD software and find that a gap of 0.2mm (.008") is enough to make for an easy break-away support.

The best solution is a soluble filament so you just have to soak it away.
    I have a lot of research to do to get there, and one has to be open to printing with two colors (time sink!).

The key element in knowing what will print and what will fail. There is nothing simple about gravity!

Post Thanks / Like
    Dual print on the cube definetly takes forever. instead of creating waste towers, it continuosly goes to the purgeonthesides concept, which is pretty lame in the end. I wonder if we can combine dual extruding with a S3D profile and avoid such "purges"...

3D Printer God(dess)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, I have to say I like the transparent PrintRBot filament.

It is not "crispy" and bonds well with the previous layer.

ilikeit.PNG

- - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bolsoncerrado View Post
    Dual print on the cube definetly takes forever. instead of creating waste towers, it continuosly goes to the purgeonthesides concept, which is pretty lame in the end. I wonder if we can combine dual extruding with a S3D profile and avoid such "purges"...
    That would be an M. question. He would have to inactivate the swap routine. Firmware may not allow that.

- - - - - - - - - -

A little further into the recent PrintRBot filament.

I double-wound the 1/4Kg spool onto a stock spool.
    Double-wound in that I wound it once onto a spool and then wound it back onto yet another 3DS spool.
    This makes sure the center from the factory wind is in the center of the working spool.

This filament is stiff. It is unique in that it is not particularly brittle, but it is hard. The Qube will get an extra workout from it.
    But it melts well and makes very nice durable and wear resistant prints. Although PLA, it simply "feels" different.

BTW: the black is seriously black. Quite opaque from what I can tell. The red is more of a hot pink that dulls on the layers.
    The red filament is under serious stress on the stock 3DS spool but running nicely on the new setup.
    I'll let you know if the filament starts to crack on the stock spool.
    Not bad for a $6 refill

stiff.PNG
    Last edited by TommyDee; 06-09-2017 at 07:03 AM.

5. Thanks bolsoncerrado, Eastman thanked for this post
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    So I read through all the pages and "Inland" looks favorite from the comments so far . Is this the case for ABS version?

About to try the Hack and if this works may buy the ReKindle from Doug on Ebay. Would this be still required?

Also are there any good Stl. files around for building a Spooler mechanism for the CubePro Cartridges? can you link or PM me

Keep up the good work guys and gals

Andrew

3D Printer God(dess)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Inland seems to be most like 3DS filament with the exception that the color is not as vivid.
    I am not as impressed with their ABS performance, but that may be the mods, not the filament.

I am more impressed with the Printrbot filament. It is a little touchier about sticking to LokBuild but makes nicer prints.
    It is a "harder" and "smoother" filament. It appears to hold a spring-back better too. It heats well and fills well.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyDee View Post
    Inland seems to be most like 3DS filament with the exception that the color is not as vivid.
    I am not as impressed with their ABS performance, but that may be the mods, not the filament.

I am more impressed with the Printrbot filament. It is a little touchier about sticking to LokBuild but makes nicer prints.
    It is a "harder" and "smoother" filament. It appears to hold a spring-back better too. It heats well and fills well.

Based in the UK so of course need local suppliers or pay lots of shipping and possibly import duty but thanks for the headsup will look at the PrintrBot and see if get from Amazon

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bolsoncerrado View Post
    Yes we can do this. Easily. Some months back I posted a dual color block, or it may have been the dual color fish, but either way I used a prime tower instead of the waste bins. I had also made the profile then to not do the initial purge that the cube normally does, but just used a skirt as the priming method. The only thing you have to worry about when doing this is waiting for your nozzle that you switched from to cool down so you don't get any filament leaking out onto your print. I would have it still park at the waste bin while it cools.

I'm at work right now, but when I get some time tonight I'll find that profile and post it.

- - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by APCollyer View Post
    So I read through all the pages and "Inland" looks favorite from the comments so far . Is this the case for ABS version?

About to try the Hack and if this works may buy the ReKindle from Doug on Ebay. Would this be still required?

Also are there any good Stl. files around for building a Spooler mechanism for the CubePro Cartridges? can you link or PM me

Keep up the good work guys and gals

Andrew
    You don't really need the rekindle if your applying the hacked firmware. Rekindle let's you change the % left on a cartridge, but with the hacked firmware your cartridges will stop counting down. One thing you can do with rekindle is change a cart so that it reads as a different filament type, you could change a pla cart to be read as abs and then you would just have to load abs filament onto that cart and you have another abs cart without buying it. But at 150usd, I can't justify that price tag for what I use my cube for.

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyDee View Post
    I have been purchasing nothing but Inland and I have to agree with this statement. PLA is awesome, but the ABS leaves something to be desired. The same is true on my Prusa, so I don't think it is due to any mods on the Cube. I get a lot of "popping" with the ABS on both printers which causes the surface to not be smooth. I did have problems with the ABS not sticking to the plate on the Prusa, but I have since resolved this issue.

3D Printer God(dess)
    Post Thanks / Like
    I forgot to mention, even with the popping ("P-huh" - plosives in audio terms) on the ABS material, 3D Builder does a much better job with it that Cubify.
    The issue is not nearly as noticeable in things other than thin walls.

Darn, M... I forgot about the material swap. Could have put the $50 toward the rekindle. I'm still thinking hard on it. you just made it slightly easier

Yea, not sure what UK availability is for PrintRBot. I went directly to the factory. Same price and nice stuff.

APC... Feel free to post up information on UK's best deals as you collect them. I'll link recommendations on to the front page.
    Last edited by TommyDee; 06-18-2017 at 08:32 AM.