Thanks Thanks:  25
Likes Likes:  20
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2129303132 LastLast
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not a lot of spare parts in the B2B build ;p I might recommend having a pair of new carts on hand. I've scoured eBay over the years but we're getting to the dregs.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well I do need to the nozzle pieces for the replace nozzles @TommyDee lol. I only have one at the moment from the butchered cartridge. Unfortunately eBay has been empty. Plenty of Gen 1/2 cartridges though for dirt cheap I will have to keep looking for some material. I know I need ABS for the new nozzles for your B2B replacement. Though I did see here the host for these forums had some high temp resin nozzles so I put in an order for those. I will begin to search more for a cartridge.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you get desperate, I might let go of a pair NOS.

- - - - - - - - - -

Okay guys and gals - I need reduce my inventory of cartridges.

I have 6 Cube3 brown ABS cartridges from July 2015.

I will sell these in pairs shipped Priority flat rate to the continental USA.
    The cost for 2 sealed cartridges will be $110/PayPal goods and services.

20210308_105347.jpg

If you simply cannot do two cartridges, the cost for one cartridge will be $65/ConUS PP/GS.

4. Likes onthuhlist liked this post
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    So I just picked up a used Cube 3 for $50 to see if I could convert it to bulk filament. Unfortunately it came with only an ABS cartridge (which I am told is unused) with teal color filament. I plan to print with Pro PLA (PLA +). I am not sure if I will ever print with ABS (unless it is needed to print some of the needed mod pieces?). So if it is not needed for that, I am willing to trade it for a PLA cartridge (chip). Also, as I am new to this printer, I am not really keen on reading dozens of pages of threads for each topic on this forum, or look through dozens and dozens of downloads in the list on the top sticky of this forum. can someone help me focus to the conclusion of what you think is the best and most reliable way to:
    1. Defeat the chip limitation (with the "latest" firmware, as apparently the 3D Systems firmware server is no longer operational).
    2. Mod the printer for bulk PLA filament
    3. Determine which suite of 3D printed parts would best facilitate this mod.
    4. Slice files for this printer and get the g code to the printer. Can I use Cura?
    5. Another question: Can the 2nd generation cartridge chips be used for the Cube 3 mod? I noticed the 2nd generation cartridge chips look identical to the 3rd generation cartridge chips, and the 2nd generation cartridges are going for $15 on Ebay. At worst I assume the chips might need to be reprogrammed, but at best I wonder if they might work without reprogramming.

Thanks so much everyone for pointing me in the right direction.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    No problem - I hear you on the treasure hunt ;]

1. Two options - the code change with caveat or ReCube recharge wand [eBay]
    2. Mod the printer for reliability - many options - partial to the universal hub myself.
    3. See 2
    4. Cube 3 is unique in pre-heating the non-operating nozzle. No slicer is able to mimic this. it's possible but no one I know has gotten good at it. Simplify 3D is closest as they are CubePro leaning. Cura's BFB profile is off on a couple of critical command. Post processing can help but it was more than I wanted to tackle. I hate recipes and I know how to design to the Cube3 slicer. It is actually a really good slicer if you have some insight. CubePro - not so much. CubePro is structural - a whole different level of slicer.
    5. You can reprogram Cube2 chips with the ReCubePro [eBay] or send them to me and I'll reprogram them.

Caveat on hacking the f/w is that cartridges must be initialized [<100%]. Otherwise the hack is perfect. Initialize and then hack; covered.

Recommendations:
    Buddybu's Cube3Editor for all customization.
    MeshMixer for tweaking models for supports.
    LokBuild and CubeGlue for reliable holds of PLA, ABS, and PETG.
    Read and participate in the forum regularly.

http://www.print3dforum.com/showthre...muro-s-Circuit
    http://www.print3dforum.com/showthre...-Universal-Hub

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks TommyDee. Does the universal hub require you to wrap your own filament on the Cube 3 cartridge?

You mentioned code change with caveat. This code change? http://www.print3dforum.com/showthre...*-Hack-is-here!!!

What is the caveat?

Thanks! Once I get everything figured out I may post a summary for newbies. These printers are still out there used on Ebay and such. And are probably the cheapest way I have found to do dual-extruder printing. The 2nd cheapest I have found is Prusa with multi-material add-on for $1k total.
    Last edited by onthuhlist; 03-09-2021 at 09:26 AM.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    The caveat is stated under item 5 - "Caveat on hacking the f/w is that cartridges must be initialized [<100%]"

The universal hub has 3 feed options - internal spool - external spool - attached mini-spool.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like

Lathe cut B2B tubing FS

Selling pairs of lathe cut B2B 4x2MM PTFE tubes with circlets shipped in US for $10. Circlets are cut with a custom jig from 5x3mm PTFE tubing.

I found it very difficult and frustrating to cut these by hand with the tool shared. Even if I didn't destroy the tube attempting to make a nice cut, I found that tube failure wasn't far behind (the circlet would eventually be pushed out of one side). After a good bit of frustration and failures with hand cut tubes, I decided to rig my lathe to handle these with some custom tooling. After four months and 4+ KGs of filament, zero issues.

I cut these at 430mm (~17") with 5mm ends but happy to customize slightly for anyone with an adjusted plan (slightly longer, only cut one end for P2C fitting, etc.).

image0.pngimage1.png
    Last edited by dougk12; 03-12-2021 at 04:07 PM.

10. Thanks TommyDee thanked for this post
    Likes TommyDee, buddybu liked this post
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyDee View Post

5. You can reprogram Cube2 chips with the ReCubePro [eBay] or send them to me and I'll reprogram them.

Caveat on hacking the f/w is that cartridges must be initialized [<100%]. Otherwise the hack is perfect. Initialize and then hack; covered.
    TommyDee, is that caveat on the printer firmware, or are you talking about the chips? Must the chips be initialized (<100%) in order to reprogram them with the ReCubePro (assuming I send them to you)? Or are you able to reprogram Cube version 2 chips to not only be Cube 3 chips, but also to register as <100%?

Thanks.

- - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dougk12 View Post
    Selling pairs of lathe cut B2B 4x2MM PTFE tubes with circlets shipped in US for $10. Circlets are cut with a custom jig from 5x3mm PTFE tubing.

I found it very difficult and frustrating to cut these by hand with the tool shared. Even if I didn't destroy the tube attempting to make a nice cut, I found that tube failure wasn't far behind (the circlet would eventually be pushed out of one side). After a good bit of frustration and failures with hand cut tubes, I decided to rig my lathe to handle these with some custom tooling. After four months and 4+ KGs of filament, zero issues.

I cut these at 430mm (~17") with 5mm ends but happy to customize slightly for anyone with an adjusted plan (slightly longer, only cut one end for P2C fitting, etc.).
    Can you direct me to the particular mod setup in which these would be used? I'm a newbie fixing to mod this Cube 3 I picked up locally, and unfortunately Youtube and this forum are full of solutions which got better over time, so I'm not sure where to look for the best solutions that are mature and proven over time.

Are the circlets you machine replacements for the OEM metal ones?

The 430 mm length assumes that P2C fittings are used on both ends?

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    The caveat is a limitation to the hack. Your chips must be initialized to work with the hack in place. You are also downgrading to v2.00 from v2.02.
    The cleaner solution is to build a ReCube light.