Thanks Thanks:  25
Likes Likes:  20
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 22303132
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyDee View Post
    The caveat is a limitation to the hack. Your chips must be initialized to work with the hack in place. You are also downgrading to v2.00 from v2.02.
    The cleaner solution is to build a ReCube light.
    TommyDee, first - Thanks so much for your input. I have a few more questions and then I think I'm good.

1. Can the chips be initialized (set from 100% to 99%) via the ReCube devices, or must they be initialized on the printer, and then the ReCube can reprogram them?

2. Do the chips really need to be reprogrammed at all? PaintBallTek on Ebay (whom I suspect may be DougK12 on this forum) is telling me: " the use of S3D allows you to easily print all of those materials - no matter what chip is installed. All the printer cares about is whether the material type identified on the printer file matches the material identified by the chip. If that chip identifies as ‘ABS White’, then you can print PLA if your print file material code = ‘ABS White’. The printer isn’t smart enough to tell that it’s only printing at 200c with print parameters for PLA."

So it sounds like as long as I have a chip that is initialized (i.e. at less than 100% setting), then I can do everything else via G-code in the slicer setup (i.e. hot end temps and feed rates)? Is this true or false? Because if it's true, then the mod solution just got 100% easier for me. Just set up some custom filament profiles in Cura, and I'm good to go.
    Last edited by onthuhlist; 03-28-2021 at 06:34 PM.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    onthuhlist - It gets convoluted when you have options - with ReCube light you don't need the hack and you can enjoy all the upgrades provided in v2.02. With a little work, you could build a ReCube light for $5. Or support one of our own here or on eBay and the chip worries are done. Either way, we're here to make that happened if you want any of these routes.

Doug is right - we can fool the printer with any chip but in the case of CubePro, there is a glitch. You have to downgrade the CubePro program all the way back v1.87 in order to edit the files to match the chip. v2.02 of the program uses a completely different communication protocol that is not compatible with available decoders. Hence Simplify 3D - they use their slicer and they present the file in a BFB format. You run it through the encoder and away you go completely segregated from Cubify. Excellent solution for a great printer. Recipes are available which is most of the work. And you get some great new features.

The hack - CubePro has had trouble with downgrading with the hack. Chamber heaters not functioning and a nozzle board being blown were enough to warn me away from the hack for CubePro. I suspect it has a lot to do with the interrupted f/w install process. I simple cannot recommend it as it could damage your system.

Last word on ReCube - by default, a NANO and a 2.2K resistor is sufficient to make a chip reset tool using Arduino IDE as a console interface on your computer. You can set the chip to whatever fill level you want as well as interrogate the chip for its information. A few more parts and you get indicators and a one-push recharge solution to 100%. William Liu also provides a pro version of the ReCube if you want to geek out with it. Basically, we have options ;]

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are the circlets you machine replacements for the OEM metal ones?

The 430 mm length assumes that P2C fittings are used on both ends?
    Hey, you found me. Yes, we've traded some messages in eBay . The 430mm length is what I use for the standard B2B setup (without P2C fittings) but my personal rig uses one P2C fitting at the aluminum feed assembly. I wouldn't recommend the use of P2C at the print tip because the twisting of the print head during reload will cause the fitting to cut into the PTFE tube, eventually damaging it and forcing replacement. If using a P2C fitting in this way, I would lengthen the tube to 450mm.

The above is exactly what I was going to list on eBay for $20 (I offer it here for less to support forum members).

Based on your messages I believe you have only a second chip, not cartridge, so you are missing some key components - one of which is worth it's weight in gold (the actual print tip). You're in the right place to get what you need though. if I can help with anything, please feel free to PM me (here not on eBay).
    Last edited by dougk12; 03-29-2021 at 02:22 PM.

4. Thanks TommyDee thanked for this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Feel free to link your eBay listing Doug. I really appreciate your efforts in this regard.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good afternoon (those on Eastcoast of the US) everyone. I have finally bit the bullet and purchased a printer from Creality. I have decided to let my Cube3 go to the secondhand market. I haven't created a sales post but probably will do via Facebook later today and i'll post it here when its done.

I have a White Cube3 that has already been flashed with the modded firmware to prevent chip writeback. I have 2 reclaimed extruders and metal tips (spring and all) already installed in some DIY hubs (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2351218) and nozzles (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2591654). Included are two default PLA chips for White (98%) and Green (99%). The print plate is in decent condition with a little indenting from a print that I forgot to zgap, oops. I use blue painters tape and the system still levels and Zgaps automatically.

All in all this thing is still cranking out decent prints, i just need more print volume. I don't print with enough frequency to justify keeping it, plus my wife is expecting some the cost from my CR-10 V3 back as I spent a wee bit more than planned. Ideally I would prefer not to ship due to weight and the general hassle of it all but if someone really wants it and is willing to pay, who am I to stop them. Im asking for 150$ USD + shipping/insurance, I live in the Central Ohio area of the US. At this time I am not willing to split up the valuable bits from the printer in case I get a local who wants to start 3d printing, but if I sit long enough, I could be persuaded.

Reply if you want more details. THanks.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyDee View Post
    onthuhlist - Doug is right - we can fool the printer with any chip but in the case of CubePro, there is a glitch. You have to downgrade the CubePro program all the way back v1.87 in order to edit the files to match the chip. v2.02 of the program uses a completely different communication protocol that is not compatible with available decoders. Hence Simplify 3D - they use their slicer and they present the file in a BFB format. You run it through the encoder and away you go completely segregated from Cubify. Excellent solution for a great printer. Recipes are available which is most of the work. And you get some great new features.

The hack - CubePro has had trouble with downgrading with the hack. Chamber heaters not functioning and a nozzle board being blown were enough to warn me away from the hack for CubePro. I suspect it has a lot to do with the interrupted f/w install process. I simple cannot recommend it as it could damage your system.
    I have a Cube 3, not a Cube Pro. So is this reservation about the hack not a worry for the Cube 3?

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry about that, Cube3 does not require hot-swapping the F/W file. The Cube3 is very stable with the hack.
    Cube3 also does not suffer from needing a F/W downgrade to edit files. Your current files can be edited at will.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WinterWarg View Post
    Good afternoon (those on Eastcoast of the US) everyone. I have finally bit the bullet and purchased a printer from Creality. I have decided to let my Cube3 go to the secondhand market. I haven't created a sales post but probably will do via Facebook later today and i'll post it here when its done.

I have a White Cube3 that has already been flashed with the modded firmware to prevent chip writeback. I have 2 reclaimed extruders and metal tips (spring and all) already installed in some DIY hubs (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2351218) and nozzles (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2591654). Included are two default PLA chips for White (98%) and Green (99%). The print plate is in decent condition with a little indenting from a print that I forgot to zgap, oops. I use blue painters tape and the system still levels and Zgaps automatically.

All in all this thing is still cranking out decent prints, i just need more print volume. I don't print with enough frequency to justify keeping it, plus my wife is expecting some the cost from my CR-10 V3 back as I spent a wee bit more than planned. Ideally I would prefer not to ship due to weight and the general hassle of it all but if someone really wants it and is willing to pay, who am I to stop them. Im asking for 150$ USD + shipping/insurance, I live in the Central Ohio area of the US. At this time I am not willing to split up the valuable bits from the printer in case I get a local who wants to start 3d printing, but if I sit long enough, I could be persuaded.

Reply if you want more details. THanks.
    Printer sale link. - https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...0-51eb44a3ecdf

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Im considering to sell My Marlin Cube3...(SKR 1,4, tmc2209,2x Titan Extruder)
    Anyone Interested? Im based in Germany...
    Thats the Grey one from My Marlin Cube3 thread

Post Thanks / Like