Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyDee View Post
    Do you have a water-jet fabrication shop nearby? They make parts from DXF files which is easy enough to generate. Almost a no-brainer for them. (Thickness?)

- - - - - - - - - -

dxf attached
    Thanks for that!
    I do have the files prepared, heard of the water-jet cutting shop, but I was told that this particular one is not too precise. The thickness is 3mm, it's pretty hard for me to find an aluminum sheet, 3mm, good enough for my purposes
    Still searching though.

How good are water-jet cutters with holes for M3 and M4 screws?

3D Printer God(dess)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Water-jet is quite precise with limitations: one being a slight taper on the edges and two, rough edges. Rough edge-surfaces is no big deal since it is easy to file and smooth with sandpaper. The taper across 3mm is barely noticeable. Slower cutting speeds can yield a perpendicular edge. But you pay extra for machine time.

My source for industrial things is McMaster-Carr (McMaster.com). Annoying shipping policy where you don't know the cost until later, but they are fair about it.

You want grade 6061 or 7075, and you'll have to settle for 1/8" thick. Most water-jet shops will carry their own stock of 6061-T651. Nothing on eBay?

I have successfully tapped many M3 threads in material down to .06 thick of 6061 aluminum sheet. If you get 7075 aluminum (read: "stiffer"), you might be able to get away with .09-.093" thickness.

For tapping water-jet parts, I always let them cut the nominal tap drill diameter of the M3 or M4 thread even though they taper. You can optionally locate the tap locations with the water-jet profile to serve as a center for a proper tap-drill operation. M3 is 2.5mm drill and M4 is 3.3mm drill.

Again, a good shop can cut very precise parts. So can persistence and a hobby saw

3. Thanks Kiza thanked for this post
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Water-jet is quite precise with limitations: one being a slight taper on the edges and two, rough edges. Rough edge-surfaces is no big deal since it is easy to file and smooth with sandpaper. The taper across 3mm is barely noticeable. Slower cutting speeds can yield a perpendicular edge. But you pay extra for machine time.

My source for industrial things is McMaster-Carr (McMaster.com). Annoying shipping policy where you don't know the cost until later, but they are fair about it.

You want grade 6061 or 7075, and you'll have to settle for 1/8" thick. Most water-jet shops will carry their own stock of 6061-T651. Nothing on eBay?

I have successfully tapped many M3 threads in material down to .06 thick of 6061 aluminum sheet. If you get 7075 aluminum (read: "stiffer"), you might be able to get away with .09-.093" thickness.

For tapping water-jet parts, I always let them cut the nominal tap drill diameter of the M3 or M4 thread even though they taper. You can optionally locate the tap locations with the water-jet profile to serve as a center for a proper tap-drill operation. M3 is 2.5mm drill and M4 is 3.3mm drill.

Again, a good shop can cut very precise parts. So can persistence and a hobby saw
    Thanks a lot for the info! Looks like I'm gonna use the last option

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does anybody have a complete Cube3 hotend that they are willing to part with?

3D Printer God(dess)
    Post Thanks / Like
    What's a Cube/Pro worth these days?

- - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dthomas6184 View Post
    Does anybody have a complete Cube3 hotend that they are willing to part with?
    Just the cartridge parts or the printer's heater mech?

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    What's a Cube/Pro worth these days?

- - - - - - - - - -

Just the cartridge parts or the printer's heater mech?
    The whole heater mech assembly, I'm looking to try the M6 upgrade but I don't want to take down my cube to do it. I figure I'll try and get a spare hot block and do the modification to it and just swap it out.

3D Printer God(dess)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shipping to me is too high on this one...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3D-Systems-...cAAOSwAbhak25F

Ends in 3 hours.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looking for abs chips

3D Printer God(dess)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not too many chips being sold, De...

We need a user willing to be a "chip reset supplier"

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not too many chips being sold, De...

We need a user willing to be a "chip reset supplier"
    I'm still hopeful... some modify and make frankensteins... some move on to other models... hoping some still have some usable carts/chips and are willing to sell... i just try to keep a note on the last page so my requests don't go missed...