Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    3D Printer God(dess)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Plates get hot even when you are in perfect 20*C. There is a large heater-block above a thin 2-element heat shield.
    And the vents blow toward the plate. ...for hours...

When ambient goes up, the local environment goes up by the same amount. So from 20*C to 27*C means the difference on the build plate too is only 7*C.

The ideal ambient for my Cubes is 21-23*C After that, PLA tends to curl on overhangs. Too cold, and adhesion becomes an issue, and even PLA curls up to 20*C.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyDee View Post
    I had another idea you might like... The big issue is removing all the old glue on the aluminum plate.
    I had to use something called Goof-Off to clean one of my old plates.
    It is Xylene which is highly toxic. Gloves, mask, and serious ventilation is required.

With that out of the way, you could fill the magnet holes with an epoxy to make it flush and no air.
    Then you can glue LokBuild or BuildTak right on the aluminum plate. I am not sure just how flat that would be.

The cover material is likely not Teflon. It is probably an acrylic sheet.

Bo, you can probably make replacement glass plates pretty easily to resell. 3 magnets (better), b-glass plate, and LokBuild.
    Here in the USA, the total cost would be about $40. Even with a small profit, it is way cheaper than 3DS.

And for the record, I did try a true alumina ceramic plate. It is perfectly flat, but will not hold anything for printing. Needs heat.
    With LokBuild, it works well. That is how I will resolve my one destroyed plate. LokBuild to the USA from Canada is finally on eBay.

Bo; I want white that perfectly duplicates the stock plate... the little cube in the lower center as the only marking. Same size as the stock plate.

I don't know how you wouldn't sell 50 in short order.

- - - - - - - - - -

...and one more dumb question: Anyone taken LokBuild up to 110*C and have it survive?

I need to get back to the heated bed experiments.

I just ripped of the white "unknown"-thing and attached my buildlok directly ontop of the metal plate which is housing the magnets and voila its working for me

3D Printer God(dess)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Or that

... With that out of the way, you could fill the magnet holes with an epoxy to make it flush and no air.
    Then you can glue LokBuild or BuildTak right on the aluminum plate. I am not sure just how flat that would be.
    Replacing the air with something that expands less is what the epoxy is for.
    Funny how they never opted to drill a small hole through the plate.

One of the reasons the original cover material fails is because of the trapped air at the magnets.
    It is constantly trying to expand when the plate gets hot.

With the LokBuild directly attached, you will probably notice a bulge at the magnets at the end of the print from the heating of the build plate.
    Worst case, it might pop loose the print if the hold is tepid.

There were two original build surfaces.
    The earlier version would crack over time allowing for venting.
    Over time, deformation would be obvious over the magnets.
    Soon after, utter failure.
    The subsequent 3DS cover material seems to manage the issue better(requires more pressure to bulge from heat?).

One of LokBuild's secrets is the adhesive backing.
    It is more of a foam pad than direct adhesion.
    This feature helps to remove prints as well.
    However, it will not hold back the inherent pressure nearly as well.

Just wanted to note this in case you start chasing more adhesion issues.
    Last edited by TommyDee; 08-06-2017 at 09:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    No one took pics of a ripped off plate?

3D Printer God(dess)
    Post Thanks / Like
    bp.PNGbpc.PNG
    I did a long time ago.
    Very sticky tape with an aluminum plate underneath, and 3 magnets just dumped in pockets.

- - - - - - - - - -

Sale pending...

Quote Originally Posted by TommyDee View Post
    Anyone interested in a new unopened neon green PLA cartridge that came with my latest printer?
    The white that came with it was the late model cartridge (w/windows and gray nozzle housing).

I can do USD$40/priority shipping within continental USA, PayPal to verified address, AS-IS.
    I can also inspect, purge, and run the clock down to 98% if requested
    Last edited by TommyDee; 08-07-2017 at 04:40 PM.

6. Thanks bolsoncerrado thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    So those holes are there for the magnets? and there's still gap once fitted??

3D Printer God(dess)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, the magnets are 3/32" (.094") thick. It has room for 0.1" thick magnets... that is what this plate now has.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Selling one of my Cube 3 printers. It is hacked, and setup with the KISS feed system. I have also done the modification to the print head. It runs great with Hatchbox filament, and Supply 3D. I am asking $280 obo plus shipping to your location. I want to get something with a bigger print bed, so get one already setup to run bulk filament. Turn Key setup, ready to go. PM me with offers, prefer payment through paypal. Pictures can be sent by email, or text message.

- - - - - - - - - -

Also looking for a ABS chip

- - - - - - - - - -

Selling one of my Cube 3 printers. It is hacked, and setup with the KISS feed system. I have also done the modification to the print head. It runs great with Hatchbox filament, and Supply 3D. I am asking $280 obo plus shipping to your location. I want to get something with a bigger print bed, so get one already setup to run bulk filament. Turn Key setup, ready to go. PM me with offers, prefer payment through paypal. Pictures can be sent by email, or text message.

- - - - - - - - - -
    Last edited by dwhttnbrg; 09-07-2017 at 05:05 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    PMed u @dwhttnbrg

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Look for cartridges. Online they seem to be $45 new but I'd like to spend a bit less.