Thanks Thanks:  18
Likes Likes:  32
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Stay tuned. Looks like Ryan wants to get there too.

Is Marlin F/W open source where custom development is fairly straight forward?

There is no reason the OpenBuilds Cube3 conversion cannot be applied to the Pro Duo.
    What F/W core was that based on?

Post Thanks / Like
    Of course Marlin FW is open source and many "forks" work for different hardware AS LONG as you know how to operate each hardware I/O.... I fear we wouldnt have much documentation of every I/O for the hw tho...

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, that. Not an issue. 3DS seems to like very cheap common stuff. Thermisters may require different calibration... we learned that on Cube3; motors should have current limits activated if you continue to find end-stops to calibrate the motion on startup. And motors have to be calibrated for travel per rotation... and filament feed per rotation. Heated beds can double for chamber temp, again, calibrate. What else is there? I don't know what's available for tweaking the Marlin F/W or even how it is done. But the overall connections is quite limited. The other advantage to CubePro is the lack of a shared nozzle heater block. That makes things a lot simpler. Looks like turning on both heaters was an add-on over time on the Cube3. All that's left is deciding if you want to develop housekeeping F/W for maintenance or write routines in gcode to aid setup operations. I suspect there are many useful libraries for Marlin already available that will integrate some common and useful routines. I just don't follow any of that because I don't mess with code in general. I know enough to be dangerous... but I need a reason to go into the deep dive. You already know I am a fast learner in these matters so never say never. But Cube3 has been more than a handful. I don't regret a minute of its continued development. I still think we can go much further with it. I want to see what Pro can do. so I have a higher level reference to compare to.

It is good that I've been collecting all that salvage ABS. I got more that enough to hit the ground running with the new Pro. Now to find some decent Nylon.

- - - - - - - - - -

Be sure to check out the new very boring Cube3 glue video on YouTube.
    Hope you glean some good information from the dialog and the comments.

- - - - - - - - - -

I just realized something... looking up thermal allowances for SMT components... Solder melts well before it reaches 260*C! Solder is still available without flux IIRC. That means we should be able to print with several varieties of metal alloy "filament". Has this idea ever come up in good company?

Lead free and is perfectly compatible with ABS settings (500F is 260C). Anyone know how to make filament out of an ingot?
    https://www.rotometals.com/lead-free...bismuth-12-tin

- - - - - - - - - -

I must add to my appreciation for Cube3...
    Looking over the CubePro's fit and finish, from a perspective of software, firmware, and hardware...
    Cube3 is yet again a next level of integration.

There is a lot to appreciate about the Cube3 development.
    To bad these improvements hadn't made it to the CubePro.

- - - - - - - - - -

After a few weeks of playing with CubePro, I must say how much more appreciation I have for the Cube3.

I suspect that CubePro was ready for a major update to bring in those lessons learned on the Cube3... or more likely, Ekocycle development.

It is becoming quite clear that intervention by Coca-Cola and Microsoft changed a lot of 3D Systems' way of thinking about consumer level printers.
    There are things in CubePrint 4.03 that are simply not found anywhere in the CubePro offerings. From design implementation to user experience, these two systems are still worlds apart. It is easy to tell that CubePro simply does printing at a level not even this printer can truly achieve. Add to this the constant references to Cube3 in the code and support files, and you can see how there was an obsession with that which became Cube3, or third generation. This really is telling that CubePro was ready to make this leap as well.

Now that I've become familiar with the CubePro s/w and h/w, the Cube3 still stands far above CubePro. Not so much in the technical detail of the print itself, but the merging of super sophisticated near-quantum placement of plastic to the more generalized approximation based on extruder size and adherence to shape that most of the other slicers exhibit. Basically, the dumbed-down version of CubePrint is more in line with Cura and Simplify3D.

Even the hardware level quality in the Cube3 is phenomenal compared to CubePro. Designing to the Cube3 slicer has been a real learning experience. None of which transfers to the CubePro. The Cube3 is simply more stable for many reasons.

Even if you use CubePro for professional level solid prints or the exotic materials, don't overlook putting a Cube3 into service for those lesser requirements. With the number of upgrades available now for the Cube3, this is a highly reliable printer with a slicer that is still a cut above the rest. A few print-file mod's, and you have a real winner.

- - - - - - - - - -

I know I haven't contributed much in this part of the forum lately but I've been kinda busy launching the ReCube Wand.
    However, you might like to hear that the original Cube3 printer, which is replacement #2 from probably 1-1/2 years ago, is pumping out ReCube Wand housings.
    This printer's maintenance history is pretty straight forward as any machinist would want to hear. I've replaced a filament motor cooling fan very early due to excessive noise rather than all out failure... and I've replaced a couple of the belt bearings on the X-motion axis. As to upgrades; The Universal Hub upgrade and LokBuild is about it.

I am printing all the ReCube Wand housing parts with 3D Solutech Real White that was given to me by 3D Solutech. Running a bit low now so I have a new spool on order. Really like this stuff. I'm running it on a CubeGlue slurried LokBuild surface. A little moisture... a finger wipe... and ready for the next print after it dries with a little help of an electric stove burner (remember, to take the chill off the plate). I am also running these prints from a USB drive because I did modify the retraction parameters to minimize the blobs (PLA - M227/M228 [325/375]). This leaves some stringing that is much easier to deal with than blobs. I have a small flameless torch that wipes out strings in moments.

Bottom line; there isn't much left for me to do with the physical Cube3... they just print now. Still have a dedicated PLA machine and a separate ABS/PETG machine. That helps keep nozzles from contaminating. The last contamination I dealt with was the metallic silver ABS from 3DS. This stuff is old enough that the skin of the filament is a contaminant in its own right. I won't put this stuff through the CubePro because I really don't want to have to maintain those nozzles. I can run the metallic silver in the Cube3, but not for extended periods of time. It has to purge from time to time.

What is left on the Cube3 side of development is the software. As I've put out there several times, and with the help of "Bob" (where are you Bob?), we learned that the config files decode with the decoder. This is big, because Bob also got the configs to recompile. And recently I learned that the CubePro and the Cube3 files are almost compatible! That is where my efforts will go next. I think I know how to make the appropriate changes to the config files to have them recompile correctly. I've also found some bugs in some of the config files. Therefore I hope to have some new options with regard to config settings for not only sharing with CubePro, but also optimizing the Cube3 to update the retraction settings more in line with the new bowden solution that Cube3 is enjoying. Config changes can also deal with 3rd party ABS issues by reducing the temperature within the config files, or even better, let it run an Ekocycle profile and having the software think it is ABS.

What is telling about all this is that we are locked into the applications as-is; CubePrint 4.03 and CubePro 2.02. What is obvious is that the system doesn't really know what you give it for config files. Therefore, a proper schema for managing config files for variations is going to be a challenge because the name cannot change to protect the innocent. This will require some kind of batch processing and a menu to keep things on track... so you know what profile is currently active.

I am here to say that this is doable. This is not just mere fancy. I understand the limitations put before me/us, and I see all the tools we need to make this happen as should be evident from the comments above. I even have known profiles in the existing files that can be queried. After seeing what CubePro does with a Cube3 file, I am even more encouraged that any effort in this direction will merge the capabilities of these 2 machines. What I'd really like to achieve is to make a print generated on Cube3 to look identical when printed in CubePro. This does nothing to take advantage of the CubePro options, but it does migrate the Cube3 platform to another platform.

As to CubePro slicing, well, that is a mixed bag of nuts and is getting some good coverage in the CubePro section of the forum. I will leave it to say that CubePro is a technical printer and most people don't need or want that. They want the fluffy stuff Simplify3D and Cura spits out... and Cube3, of course. The slicer approach in the CubePro is a whole different level of integration. You may see why I am marrying these two diverse technologies to be common in hardware. Until we have a reliable decoder for the latest CubePro 2.02 software configs, the hope of putting CubePro's technical slicer to the more stable platform of the Cube3 is currently beyond the scope. it may be worth doing with CubePro 1.87, but as Alex has pointed out to me, it is several releases back where I thought it may only be 1. Indeed, CubePro went up to v1.11 meaning 1.87... 1.9x 1.10 and then finally 1.11. There is a notable difference between the versions and print results. I haven't worked with it enough to be definitive on exactly how, but the implications are significant enough to know that I might be undoing good works by backtracking to 1.87 for the now. And I have enough to do until then anyway.

There's my update. And for those who still follow these threads, happy printing.

- - - - - - - - - -

Clever!

- - - - - - - - - -

It is time to bring this thread back to the front.

First; I took the action today to prepare the Cube3 build plate. Again, I use Lokbuild with CubeGlue. It just works! ...So well, that I have trouble removing parts from the build plate. However, this process does require maintenance. Today, after many pounds of filament run through this printer, I needed to prepare a larger surface; 5.25" diameter to be specific. Over time, you get some clumps and uneven surfaces from re-wetting or adding diluted glue. So if you do need to print a large part, you may need to refresh the plate. That is what I did today after nearly 6 months of simple maintenance where you simply wet the glue and smear it around a little with your fingers. This operation normally dries quickly. But today I added a lot of water and worked all the lumps back to a mostly flush surface. What you see is the "over-brim" that is outside out 6" square print area. This print does 2 things; allows for checking levelness of the Lokbuild, but also gathers the wet glue for later use.

Here is the build plate drying
    lokbuild_prep.PNG

ReCube News; got new circuit boards today for a second wave of ReCube Light builds. They look great! Now I need to go back and start ordering more NANO's.

And the Hub-bub about filament hubs - I'm about to release the STL's for the DIY hub print files when I finish finding them back. I will post them on Thingiverse but I will maintain a tight license regarding remixes and rights. Seeing how I've abandoned this effort in favor of the B2B cartridge rebuilds, these are basically historical from my perspective. I still recommend the B2B Universal Hub for any new implementation. Just too many advantages to repeat them all here.

And BuddyBo! ...has made huge advances in Cube3 file manipulation. So much in such a short time that converting Cube3 prints to CubePro is actually feasible. I can't thank Buddy enough for the work he is doing on this front. Be sure to try his programs and give a shout out, please.

And a call to participate! If you are reading this and are one of the many viewers of this forum but haven't weighed in or even created an account, please join these efforts. I often feel like I am just updating a blog that I know is read but rarely commented. Your comments are welcome and your efforts may be freely shared. I see Cube3's being sold every day. And I know we have the largest database of useful information on these printer anywhere. There are people who have no idea that the Cube3 has so much more potential today then when it was actually being marketed by 3D Systems. I am here to say that these printers can be made to be highly reliable. It just takes a little knowledge which 'we' and I are happy to share.

Keep up the great works!

- - - - - - - - - -

Now that's one way to pick up a few spare cartridges... buy an as-is Cube3 for parts!

It pays to get on eBay early

- - - - - - - - - -

And a couple of purchase notes to share:

Harbor Freight; all out favorite tool store, right?

Small metric drill bit set ...which includes TWO 3MM BIT FOR NOZZLE TUBES!
    $3.99! HFPN: 61526
    I use a 3mm drill bit to clean out the strange goo that oozes from our filament.
    I have a mark at 20mm where the bit starts to dig into the aluminum.
    Diamond cutoff wheels work well to turn a drill bit into a flat-end reemer.
    A flat end won't allow the bit to cut into the aluminum.
    You should have 2 chucks on hand to clean the insides of our extruders.
    A pair of Dremel tools or proper size collets should be sufficient.
    3mm for the bit and 4.4mm for the nozzle.

Also got a hot air gun along with a limited time coupon.
    Dual range allows for build plate warming quickly.
    Coupon for $9.99: This thing has some size to it. Basically 33% off.

Not SPAM'n! Just sharing useful tools at deals that are hard to beat.
    Oh, the bit set has 0.5mm included. I can finally test our nozzle size.
    I'm still betting on 0.45mm diameter. Odds anyone?
    Last edited by TommyDee; 03-29-2019 at 09:32 PM.

4. Thanks buddybu thanked for this post
    Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks TD! Your encouragement helps! The latest version of the tools that TD was talking about are available here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gd...mhQ_f28-DhOI6e

Or,

Cube3Utils.zip

Please let me know what you think, any bugs found, or features desired. Please use the following thread for those comments:

http://www.print3dforum.com/showthre...e3-File-Editor

6. Thanks TommyDee thanked for this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    So far so good for the new member of the print pod.

newguy.PNG

Seems to have come from a rubber company of some kind.
    Beat to a pulp cosmetically but basically new.
    Firmware is 1.10A; the NG is the old style cartridge.
    Clogged, of course. Now the NG is 98% and the black is still 100%.
    Build plate and cartridge bays are pristine.
    The cartridge stepper motor fan is a bit noisy in this one.
    No power supply. Not that I don't have a few.

Did a quick B2B conversion and this is what the left side did.
    Now for the right.

- - - - - - - - - -

Well now... does your Cube3 sound like a sonic jet? I think I know why!

I took the new printer apart to give it a good bath. The case cleaned up nicely.
    But I also opened it up to learn why the cartridge vent fan was making so much racket.

This may be one of the little things fixed over time. This is the first I've heard that is this noisy.
    Basically, the blades on the squirrel cage fan comes to close to the housing it is bolted to.
    I twisted the fan out of the way from the opening and sure enough, a nice serene fan howl.
    And when I moved them close again, you can actually crash the blades into the housing.

Do with this information what you will ;]

newguyinnards.PNG

sonic_fix.PNG

8. Likes buddybu liked this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    What does Digilab use for a slicer?

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    in my quick research, it looks like it uses a Cura based slicer as well as support for Simplify3D.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting. So Cura is making canned versions for specific platforms.

This is the only hint I see that this could be Cura...

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, this page:

https://digilab.dremel.com/3D-software

Dremel DigiLab 3D Slicer Now Available

Based on Cura's open-source slicing software, Dremel DigiLab 3D Slicer will allow you to securely slice your CAD files without the need for internet connection. Since it's based on Cura, you can use the Dremel DigiLab 3D Slicer to slice files for not only your Dremel 3D printers, but also for your other Cura-integrated 3D printers.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    And that!

- - - - - - - - - -

Hub Mod Central...
    case cover conversion work cell:

hub_mod_central.PNG

14. Likes buddybu liked this post