Thanks Thanks:  18
Likes Likes:  32
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
    Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, here goes... This may turn out to be like auto forum oil wars, or motorcycle tire wars, but we plunge in.

Given that (a) you can easily convert one to the other with a simple firmware reload; (b) with ReCube you can switch cartridge types either way; (c) you can modify a print file sliced for either on so it will run on the other --

We therefore ask:

Which is the better firmware to use: Cube 3 or Ekocycle ?

1 - Cube 3 seems to do things faster - autogap, leveling, printing.

2- Ekocycle seems to print some materials cleaner - maybe because it is going slower, smaller retracts?

3- Cube 3 supports more filament types (3 vs 1).

4- Cube 3 allows 2 layer thicknesses (vs 1).

5- Cube 3 has a more logical logo.

Does either one have an strong advantage, or is it simply a matter of which one you have on hand?

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    'Da pea-a-n-uu--t bud'e beez erl an'da!' '...sez mi 12-gai'

Seriously, if I was running PETG or 3rd party ABS all day every day, no contest; Ekocycle.
    But 'having' to convert a file is a downside. So Cube3 is simpler.
    Basically, I'd pick whatever will let me push the button and print on most occasions.

Now back to that other statement... seriously... all we need do it force the Ekocycle F/W onto the Cube3 to convert? No hassles about 'your version is the bestest ever, why the heck would you freakin' change it!' message from 3D Systems? No special checks with the 2 unique identifier binary codes?
    ....Just install it on a thumb drive and say update? Sorry for the inquisition but nothing has -ever- been that simple with 3DS!
    Last edited by TommyDee; 08-19-2019 at 01:59 AM.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    It was that easy going from an Ekocycle to a Cube3, so I can't imagine that the reverse is any different.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    @TD
    My printers never connect to the Internet (I use a standalone wifi if I want to see what it is doing or use the M$ driver), so I have never seen the message you allude to. My bad for not knowing about that.

Buddybu is right, otherwise - it is quite simple. I've converted printers back and forth 3 or 4 times now (you know, Science Experiment...)

To make it easier, I use 4 USB drives, containing:

USB #1- Stock(or modified - doesn't matter here) Cube 3 firmware file named "cube V1.14B.ar"
    USB #2- Modified Ekocycle firmware file named "cube V1.14B.ar"
    USB #3- Stock (or modified - doesn't matter here) Ekocycle firmware file named "ekocycle V1.05.ar"
    USB #4- Modified Ekocycle firmware file named "ekocycle V1.05.ar"

Cube to Eko: Start installing #1, pull USB >error retry message, insert #2 hit checkmark, wait about 10 minutes, reboot & wait 20 sec*. Done.

Eko to Cube: Start installing #3, pull USB >error retry message, insert #4 hit checkmark, wait about 10 minutes, reboot & wait 20 sec*. Done.

* This is the scary part, where the screen goes black.
    ------------------------

Curious: does your quip say "The peanut buddy is all under - says my 12 gauge" ?
    I don't get it!

--------------------
    Apologies for Post #164 - it was kind of over the top for what should have been a simple question!
    Last edited by JohnTee; 08-20-2019 at 03:29 AM.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Erl... dag-nab't Erl warz! post 164? We're up at 200-something.

Okay, so by your count, indeed, it is a mere filename that makes it what it is.

But I've never done the second part... I always upgrade by telling it to do so via USB drive. Even 1.14B to 1.14B was a simple 'forced' reinstall.

- - - - - - - - - -

Ever wanted to split the stock Cube3 spool for whatever reason?

Since I am contemplating emptying cartridges before shipping, I designed a piece that will help separate the two halves.
    Let me know if this is something others would like and I'll get it up on Thingiverse.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have a picture of your existing tool?

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3836065

It's live!

Spool_Popper_1.PNG
    Spool_Popper_2.PNG

- - - - - - - - - -

Not to beat up on professional web designers or anything...
    but sometimes things slip through even at big government projects;

web_derangers.png

This is on the USPS website when you filter the available Priority box and envelope selections.
    I should look for a 'web admin' contact ;p

- - - - - - - - - -

Anyone recognize this honey-do printable fix? And the hardware solution applied?

familiar.PNG
    Attached Files Attached Files

8. Likes buddybu liked this post
    Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    it almost looks like a construction or wrapping paper holder. It could also possibly a mount for a retractable blind. ...

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is indeed a blind on a door. Broke both clips in a single awe-heck incident.

The 'pin' is from salvaged cubepro carts. They were just sitting there staring at me saying they needed a purpose in life.

Regular 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice solution! That's a great fix. I've broken my share of those clips. Mostly the bottom ones, but the top ones for sure.