Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Small lokbuild update from me. I hadn't used my cube for a few weeks, then decided to print Don's extruder hub. First pla print curled up on the edges which was odd so I investigated. Since it has sat so long, there was a fine layer of dust on the lokbuild, so I cleaned it with some 70% isapropyl alcohol gently, get the dirt off and any residue from other prints. Now it's back to how it was when new, maybe better. Prints stick crazy good.

2. Likes Joao liked this post
    Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythandar View Post
    so I cleaned it with some 70% isapropyl alcohol gently
    Be careful! It says to use LOW isopropyl when using isopropyl alcohol.

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was careful. Worked out really well.

Post Thanks / Like
    LOW Isopropyl = IPA + H2O?

3D Printer God(dess)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tried a glass etching cream on the b-glass. It just laughed at it. Not even a minor scuff.

In case you're wondering, I want the borosilicate glass to be recognized for leveling.
    Ordered a 300 grid diamond polishing disk to see if I can make that work to get a uniform frosted finish on there.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyDee View Post
    Heated beds cannot use magnets.
    They loose magnetism very quickly at elevated temperatures.

I have yet to have a problem with using the stock magnets in my heated build plate.

-Cosmoneer.

- - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TommyDee View Post
    Tried a glass etching cream on the b-glass. It just laughed at it. Not even a minor scuff.

In case you're wondering, I want the borosilicate glass to be recognized for leveling.
    Ordered a 300 grid diamond polishing disk to see if I can make that work to get a uniform frosted finish on there.
    Let me know how this works out for you. If it works, I may get another plate for my heated bed and laser etch it to see if it will auto-level.
    Last edited by Cosmoneer; 11-10-2017 at 01:08 AM. Reason: added a quote from TommyDee

3D Printer God(dess)
    Post Thanks / Like
    It didn't work. The disk requires a tool I don't have and the abrasive is impregnated in rubber.

Interesting about the magnets. I wonder if the heat adds its own stiction to the nylon magnet pads on the printer.

I'm working on elevating the glass plate and using a 12v silicone heater. Side project that is not getting any traction yet.
    I have all the bits, but not actively working on it at the moment.
    I was planning on LokBuild on the glass surface. I have a lot of LokBuild strips that covered the glass nicely.

Laser etching would be an interesting test. No lasers at my disposal, though.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,

Little late to the convo here... If you put that LokBuild sheet on top of the white build plate, does the auto level or auto Z work correctly? (as in not give an error about bad surface).

Or just forget about the auto-level and do it manually somehow?

Just cracked a peice of the white stuff off the plate when I was trying to remove a part. Great :-)

Thanks.

Thanks,

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, works fine, thats how I have them. And mine are BLACK!

3D Printer God(dess)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Confirmed that the Cube 3 doesn't care about the writing or the surface of the orange LokBuild with black text. It levels, calibrates, and gaps perfectly.

there really is no way to level manually because leveling is a value stored in the firmware as a calibration lookup table.
    If only we could overwrite it! :|