Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: New CR-10

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like

New CR-10

I received my CR-10 a few days ago from GearBest. No complaints about them as a company except that they quoted me a ridiculously low price for shipping that I had to fix before they'd hand it to DHL to ship to Alaska. It was about $90 more than original but was fast and accurate and actually what I expected it would cost in the first place.

Assembly and setup were pretty easy. I watched a couple of YouTube videos of other guys unboxing theirs and was prepared for some of the issues they noted. As a mechanic in a previous life I checked the tightness of all pre-installed screws as I was assembling it and had it all together and adjusted in a couple of hours (due to having to disassemble the print bed and tighten up the wheels to eliminate slop). I did a couple of test prints of the gear on the SD card and was kind of unimpressed. They turned out pretty rough and flimsy. I attributed this to normal print quality and the use of minimal infill.

This is my first 3D printer but the quality seemed somewhat iffy so I tried a print with high quality settings in Cura thinking normal wasn't cutting it. The print I was making (the jumble of tubes on the starfish base included on the SD card) failed completely about 40mm up from the bed when the center freestanding pieces broke off from the friction of the print head. I started looking critically at everything and noticed that the hot end was not installed completely vertical so the material was not being extruded straight down but at a slight angle to the right. I removed the fan shroud, loosened the screws and straightened the extruder so the nozzle was completely vertical and what a difference!

I also removed the cosmetic orange plastic strips from the horizontal and vertical extrusions as they obviously came off a roll and didn't lay flat. I don't think they added anything of value to the printer and I prefer the look of the printer with them removed.

Unlike others I've had no issues with the SD card or reader but had to download a Mac version of Cura as the one included was only for PC. I'm happy with it for now and it seems pretty capable with plenty of bells and whistles for a newbie. I didn't have much trouble getting it configured for the CR-10 and had it up and running in short order.

I have another print going that should finish in a few hours so we'll see if my tweaks have paid off. More later.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    When you tightenned the bed rollers, did it eliminate the x axis wobbling? This is the last issie I havent been able to resolve with mine.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    I assume so as I don't seem to have the issue. My problems seem to have stemmed from the misalignment of the hot end. All I had to do to tighten the rollers was loosen the nuts and squeeze the wheels toward the track while tightening them again. Sadly the only way to do this is remove the bed. My newest print is nearly finished and it looks awesome. I'll probably get another SD card today just so I don't have any problems with the original one. I've printed all the documents from the card and the test files would be no real great loss but I'll copy everything over to my Mac just so I don't lose anything.

I gave up on masking and painters tape and bought a kids purple Elmer's Glue Stick and applied that to the bed. Adhesion is great and it comes off much easier than removing the print from the tape. The first layer is much nicer on the glass as well, smooth as glass so to speak.

Good luck and let us know how the bed adjustment works out. I'd eyeball the alignment of the hot end as well just to make sure.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sad how easy it really was. Didnt need to remove the bed, just tighten one of the wheels that was a quarter turn loose. Woble is gone. My nozzle alignment is good. Ill try a print later to verify everything is good.

Great idea with the glue stick. It doesnt affect the distance between nozzle and bed? I shy'd away from that option thinking a gluestick wouldnt go down even. Clearly not the case?

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    No, its thinner than tape and all you need is just a thin film. It washes with water so you can clean the glass in between by washing or scraping with a razor blade. If you have adjusted the bed height using tape you'll have to tweak it again but once adjusted it should be fine from then on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Re: Gearbest "free shipping" practices I better don't comment, it has been proven this is just shady marketing practice to later come back to you and claim they can only ship thru DHL to make money out of the whole deal.

Great to know this is a newbie compatible printer

Im assuming the hotend came loose during transit? Every printer is supposed to be tested in full when leaving the factory....

Great you were able to address it quickly

7. Likes zanybrainy liked this post
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was a bit skeptical of the shipping cost being so low. We're used to being charged through the nose for shipping to Alaska as we're the end of the food chain up here. As I mentioned what they charged actually seemed pretty fair based on past experience with getting things here. I've had other experiences where companies want to send UPS second day when priority mail would work just as well. Sometimes shipping costs more than the item I'm trying to buy and I just cancel out and look elsewhere. Amazon Prime is my friend! It truly is free shipping. I didn't look there but probably should have.

The hot end screws were tight so if they printed a test it wasn't very tall as the farther from the bed the worse the quality got. I don't think they loosened during shipping as the unit was packed very well in the foam in my opinion. Once I trued it up it prints like a dream. I'm quite happy with it now.

9. Likes bolsoncerrado liked this post