Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3D Printer Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink The M$ 3D Builder Thread

It is becoming perfectly clear that the Cube software is somehow hobbling The Qube (Cube 3).

3D Systems provided a lot of driver information and a slicer to Microsoft (M$) to support all the Cube printers 3D Systems makes and made.

Microsoft provides an SDK that details how it intends to support 3D printing in their OS.
    It includes a very detailed map on how you can implement your printer with driver in Windows.
    If you know nothing about drivers, don't bother. But it provides some understanding of what is expected.
    By default, this is installed on your Windows 10 machine. Also available for Windows8.1.
    However, have the link to the SDK on hand as the driver is a bit touchy.

The reason for this thread is to get out of Cubify (or whatever the Qube app is really called) and open up some new possibilities.

Please put your love or hate in these pages.

marvintwice.PNG

2. Thanks carlos thanked for this post
    3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    What is the driver for 8.1?3D Builder on my Windows 8.1 has no idea what to do with Cube and it is unable to find the driver for it to be able to print from 3D Builder.

3D Printer Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    It should be the same SDK. I hadn't looked into it further, but there is info on the M$ site.

- - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bleky View Post
    What is the driver for 8.1?3D Builder on my Windows 8.1 has no idea what to do with Cube and it is unable to find the driver for it to be able to print from 3D Builder.
    I remember that the SDK's install .ini files listed windows 8.1 or higher, so yes, the SDK is for Windows 8.1 also.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Still doesn't work with 8.1 but when I run it in a VM with 10 it works and sends files to the printer.
    But it's Microshaft so nothing unusual...

3D Printer Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll have to see what my 8.1 does. It is a fairly straight forward system.

- - - - - - - - - -

If something simple can be made difficult, it will have M$ initials on it somewhere.

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    I seem to recall that Windows 8.1 had issues with 3D Builder that they never fixed. They did however fix it in Windows 10. Yet another way MicroShaft is trying to force you to go to Windows 10.

3D Printer Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I cannot get the SDK loaded in Windows 8.1. It doesn't recognize it as an install file.

3D Printer Noob
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyDee View Post
    I cannot get the SDK loaded in Windows 8.1. It doesn't recognize it as an install file.
    Damn Microshaft and their crap SDK.I can successfully install it but there is not even S of that SDK...No signs of any drivers,files and so.

3D Printer Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't know the SDK was installed on W10 either.
    I finally did a search and found it in the spool folder.

- - - - - - - - - -

And now 3D Builder errors out every time it tries to send a file to The Qube.

ARGGGG!

- - - - - - - - - -

Rebooted the computer and let The Qube go into sleep mode fixed the communication problem.

Interesting factoid; if The Qube is prompting for maintenance other that the color warning, the driver will close out in windows 10.
    This lets you print and remove the USB without confusing Windooze.

- - - - - - - - - -

Another new finding about 3D Builder v. Cube s/w...

When The Qube lays down its first layer, it extrudes extra material... enough to bleed 0.25mm from the intended edge.
    layer 2 may or may not do this.

Compare this to a very skimpy layer when you don't use rafts that 3D Builder lays down.

For Cube s/w, I would hack off another 50um but for 3D Builder, I would come a lot closer to the build plate.

- - - - - - - - - -

New finding... and this is useful.

The difference in height for the first layer between Cubify and 3DB is exactly one tape thickness.

DONE!

Expert 3D Printer
    Post Thanks / Like
    With the latest windows 10 update there's a new program called View3D. It's a neat little program that can load the stl file to give you a quick rendered look at the model.